[How-to]: Make suspend/resume work on ThinkPad T440p

Hello people. :)

Maybe this is more a hint than a how-to, due to its brevity, however since I didn't find any info about this anywhere (something old on the Laptops Wiki apart), I wanted to share how I got suspend/resume working on a T440p (tested on 12-RELEASE, but 11 should be supported as well).

Background
According to its entry on the Laptops Wiki page, this ThinkPad is able to suspend, but not to resume, just waking up. I decided to test it anyway; after all the entry for this laptop has not been modified since 2015-09-05, and maybe things got better in the meantime.
How mentioned on the wiki I got a working suspend, but a different result on resuming: the laptop didn't want to even try to resume. Pressing the power button (or opening the lid even if configured) was totally ineffective.

Solution
After many tries, I found a workaround to make it work: in the BIOS/UEFI settings, under the Security settings there is an entry for the Security Chip installed on the laptop. Just set it to Inactive or Disabled, and then save the settings.
Voilà! Now the power button (or the lid opening if configured to do so) is able to wake up the laptop, and nowadays resume works!

Conclusion
Enjoy your working suspend/resume on a ThinkPad T440p with FreeBSD! :D

Back