vbox How to log in virtual BSD

Sorry for this naïve question.

I am trying to boot a FreeBSD virtual machine by means of VirtualBox under Liinux Devuan (Debian without system D). I downloaded a FreeBSD dvd ISO and constructed a virtual machine for it. When I start the machine as muti-user FreeBSD boots. It finishes with a log in promt. However, since I did not install FreeBSD but merely use its ISO there is no user accunt or password. I tried freebsd for both, but had no luck.

Did you try username root, no password?
You may want to state which ISO image you are using just in case it makes a difference.

Thanks. Root works (no pw required). Am I correct that next I should to do # adduser?
Not sure. It depends on what exactly you are trying to do. It's been a while since I've done so, but booting a virtual box attached to an ISO image means that right now you are probably running a FreeBSD "live image" under the VM. I think the next step would be to install FreeBSD in the VM. There should be something in the NOTEs or README for the ISO images.

As the ISO activates, it should offer you the choice of booting from the "live image" or "installing FreeBSD".

You indicate that you "did not install FreeBSD". You need to do that since the ISO is essentially "read only".

As the ISO activates, it should offer you the choice of booting from the "live image" or "installing FreeBSD".

You indicate that you "did not install FreeBSD". You need to do that since the ISO is essentially "read only".
Vague memories, I thought there was a way to kick off the installer from the live image. I just don't recall because it's been a while.

Back