How to keep the desktop screen alive 13.1, Mate

My Mate screen stays annoyingly open for a very short time requiring the refreshing of my password each time.
How do I go about altering the active time. I see nothing obvious to do so.

Thanks

I don't use Mate, but I would look under a Settings or Preferences for "Screensaver"; that's usually where it is.
I'm assuming you mean "when I am not doing anything like moving the mouse or typing the screen goes to lock in a short amount of time".
An example of what I think you mean:
You have a music application open and playing music while you clean the kitchen; the music continues to play but the screen goes to lock.

Most of the time (I don't use Mate myself) you can configure 2 'timers'. One is for the blanking of the display, the other is for actually 'locking' the screen. So you could set the screensaver to 10 minutes but it won't be locked until 3 minutes after the screensaver activated. Or you can disable the 'locking' entirely, so only the screensaver is activated but the screen is never locked.

I tried what user 'Vull' (post 13 Feb22,2019) said worked, but it doesn't work for me. He said;

formatting problem. Continue below

"Found this trick on a messageboard somewhere some time back, and it has worked pretty well for me on most, if not all, of the DE's I've tried it with. Just had to add the /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/serverflags.conf with these contents:"

Code:
 Code:

Section "ServerFlags"
#...
Option "BlankTime" "60"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

Note that "0" in this context is the code for "never" and not for "0 minutes"
Looking at the ArchWiki, there they apparently have sections in conf.d, including a 'Monitor' section, but I have to create config.d here in BSD?
After I create a facsimile of Vull's code @ root, in a new file (serverflags.conf), that created code disappears?
Any reasons why this doesn't work for me?

Those ServerFlags are supposed to interact with the DPMS features of the monitor, which you can also get to by using the xset command.

I use xset but in the opposite way from W.hâ/t says:

I disable all screensavers, and use xset with the dpms options to power down the display after a while.
locking typically comes from the screensaver
man xset
shows:

xset -dpms should disable all the DPMS (Display Power Management System) features
xset +dpms enables the features with default values
xset dpms force on will force the display on (values are on|off|standby|suspend)
xset dpms X Y Z where X Y Z are integer "seconds" to activate standby (X) suspend (Y) or off (Z) 0 will disable

example:
my .xinitrc I have
xset dpms 0 0 600 which means the display shuts off after 10 minutes of no activity

This talks about Mate on Ubuntu, but should still be valid for Mate on FreeBSD:

Back