How to interface with the graphics card on freebsd.

Hello,
I would like to know how to draw something without X.org on a modern graphics card under FreeBSD.

I have a 2560x1440 monitor and a Radeon RX 6800 TX. // As an example setup. I'm more interested in embedded systems, but it would be interesting to see if the process is the same for a dedicated graphics card.

I tried drawing pixels with svgalib and it worked.
It's obviously not suitable for high resolution monitors and HDMI signals.

I probably need something that can communicate with the graphics driver, like svgalib is supposed to communicate with the vga driver.
What would be the driver I need to communicate with (for a RX 6800 TX) and are libraries like sdl or opengl able to do this without the x.org server?
Thanks.

Yes, for just "drawing pixels", using the framebuffer is a simple way to go.

If you need "accelerated" drawing functions (2d and 3d), the DRM interface offered by the drivers in e.g. graphics/drm-kmod provide the standard interface that's also used by Xorg. SDL has KMSDRM enabled by default, this seems to be the correct backend to use DRM directly.

Hello,
I would like to know how to draw something without X.org on a modern graphics card under FreeBSD.

I have a 2560x1440 monitor and a Radeon RX 6800 TX. // As an example setup. I'm more interested in embedded systems, but it would be interesting to see if the process is the same for a dedicated graphics card.

I tried drawing pixels with svgalib and it worked.
It's obviously not suitable for high resolution monitors and HDMI signals.

I probably need something that can communicate with the graphics driver, like svgalib is supposed to communicate with the vga driver.
What would be the driver I need to communicate with (for a RX 6800 TX) and are libraries like sdl or opengl able to do this without the x.org server?
Thanks.
In response to your post: Did you get xorg or Wayland working? what's your FreeBSD version? are you using ports or packages?

In response to your post: Did you get xorg or Wayland working? what's your FreeBSD version? are you using ports or packages?
I have Xorg installed but dont use it for now. FreeBSD Version 15.0. I used the package. But why is that imported.

Yes, for just "drawing pixels", using the framebuffer is a simple way to go.

If you need "accelerated" drawing functions (2d and 3d), the DRM interface offered by the drivers in e.g. graphics/drm-kmod provide the standard interface that's also used by Xorg. SDL has KMSDRM enabled by default, this seems to be the correct backend to use DRM directly.
Thank you, that was helpfull.

I have Xorg installed but dont use it for now. FreeBSD Version 15.0. I used the package. But why is that imported.
Ah, I was interested because I have a 6900 XT, and if someone got a 6800XT working, then 6900 XT is a possibility. But yeah, as SirDice pointed out, no such thing as FreeBSD 15.0 right now... My educated guess is that something else is at version 15.0...

Back