How to install Unix + GUI

Hey I managed to install FreeBSD 12.0 on Windows 10 via virtualbox, but I am not sure how to install a GUI for it. I am completely new to Unix and can anyone please offer some help on installing any GUI for FreeBSD?

Thanks

There's also some helpful threads in the forum, though setup varies somewhat depending on graphics hardware;

Basically, installing a GUI boils down to (as root): pkg install xorg-minimal mate
(replace 'mate' with the Desktop Environment of your choice if different).

Also make sure D-BUS is enabled (there should be a dbus_enable="YES" line in /etc/rc.conf).
Being new to Unix, if you're not familiar with any available text editors, you can just type (as root):
echo 'dbus_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
and reboot your VM.

Then, log in as the non-privileged user you've created during installation
and type (only need once): echo "exec mate-session" > .xinitrc
then: startx.

In a VirtualBox VM, it will work without further configuration, except maybe for the keyboard layout if you don't have a US QWERTY one (click System/Preferences/Hardware/Keyboard).

Of course, you'll need to install more applications, depending on your needs. However, before going any further, I recommend you read (at least) Chapter 3 of the FreeBSD Handbook, it's one of the best introduction to Unix I've ever seen.

Note that on bare metal, more configuring and troubleshooting is usually needed and it's a good idea to search the forum for supported hardware beforehand.

Back