How to install pkgs on an 11.0-RELEASE armv5 system

I've finally managed to come up with a version of FreeBSD for my GoFlex Home which does panic immediately or suffer interrupt storms.

I used the src for 11.0 but had to build it in a 11.0 jail because it wouldn't build under 12.0. The problem I'm now encountering is that I can't install pkgs because my release is too old. I tried building from ports but encountered numerous problems there too.

What changes do I need to make to /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf or PACKAGESITE to install pkgs for armv5?

You do realize you posted this same question on the mailing list.
You should not be posting identical questions on support systems.
Very bad form.

I don't see what the problem is. I doubt whether both system are used by the same people, and I doubt whether either forum has the font of all FreeBSD knowledge/experience.

What is wrong with asking in any forum for help if you are stuck?

Nothing is wrong.

We don't build packages for armv5, only for armv6/7/8.
You'll need to build it from source. I don't know if there were breaking changes in the ports infrastructure, you'll probably have to fetch a ports tree from the 11.0-release era.

As said acheron, packages are only provided for armv6/7/8. You have some interesting links in this thread. :

I read that some people use poudriere(8) or synth(1) to cross-compile their packages (see here for instructions using synth(1)).

I don't like playing forum jerk.
What I would like is to teach you the right way to ask questions.
Here is the problem.
Mailing List Post at Mon Apr 22 09:17:13 UTC 2019
This forum post: Mon Apr 22 09:24 UTC 2019

So there was only 7 minutes between posting to the mailing list and posting here.
That is considered bad behavior. You should post a question and then wait a reasonable amount of time for replies.
If you don't get any replies or bad quality replies, then by all means post your question on another FreeBSD support system.
My guideline would be 24-48 hours to wait for an answer, Then feel free to ask somewhere else.
That would be courteous.

You also have lost a FreeBSD Arm developers personal help by being rude.
In this post he tells you that top posting is wrong:
The convention for freebsd mailing lists is to bottom-post replies,
mixed top and bottom posting makes for unreadable threads.
Then you proceed to top post two times.
Forget it. He is not helping you any more. You disrespected him.
This is very bad form

Asking questions is fine. Just do it smartly.

Back