How to install kde on FreeBSD 10 (newby)

Hello,

I just installed FreeBSD 10 32 bit. I attempted to compile kde4 but it failed because of a problem compiling java. I am now attempting to install a binary. However:

Code:
pkg install kde4
Updating repository catalogue
pkg: No packages matching 'kde4' available in the repositories

I have see earlier posts in this forum that advise setting FreeBSD.conf as follows:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:32/release/0/",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  enabled: yes
}

but that did not solve the issue.

Thanks for any help.

Sprock

At the moment there are a few packages missing due to unknown reasons.

SirDice said:
At the moment there are a few packages missing due to unknown reasons.

It's not unkown reasons, it's just that some ports depend on WITH_NEW_XORG which at the moment is not the default so they fail to build, someone is working to set up a repo for that but I have no clue on when it'll be ready.

In regards to OP question, a quick and easy way could be do download the ports then go to /usr/ports/x11/kde4, do make missing > /tmp/to-install, pkg install -A $(cat /tmp/to-install) (I'm not 100% positive about the syntax, in bash it's pkg install -A `cat /tmp/to-install`).

It will fail saying that some packages can't be found, edit /tmp/to-install with your favourite editor and delete the ones that can't be installed, repeat the pkg install -A .. step.

Then, in the port directory (/usr/ports/x11/kde4) do portmaster ./ (or make install, or whatever you use), this will build the last few remaining packages. Then follow the normal instructions to set up kde. :beer

(The -A switch for pkg install means install as leaves so that if you remove the kde4 meta package that depends on them pkg autoremove will wipe them out as it should)

EDIT:

I almost forgot obviously you need xorg compiled as detailed here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Ports under Installing KMS Ports.

Thanks to all who responded. For now I have elected to install gnome-lite, but I will try clod89's suggestion on a different machine tomorrow.

Thanks to wblock@ for re-formatting my post. I'll be more careful next time.

sprock

Back