Andreas Strauch

I have tried to google and forum-search all of last weekend to solve the following problem: Where do I get base.txz and kernel.txz for my BeagleBone Black?

Specifically, I want to setup some jails on my BBB, but for that I need the DISTRIBUTION files...
Code:
root@beaglebone:~ # ezjail-admin install
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/armv7/13.0-RELEASE/base.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshot/arm/armv7/13.0-RELEASE/base.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/arm/armv7/13.0-RELEASE/base.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/releases/arm/armv7/13.0-RELEASE/base.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/snapshots/arm/armv7/13.0-RELEASE/base.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/arm/armv7/13.0-RELEASE/base.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

Could not fetch base from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org.
  Maybe your release (13.0-RELEASE) is specified incorrectly or the host ftp.freebsd.org does not provide that release build.
  Use the -r option to specify an existing release or the -h option to specify an alternative ftp server.
Querying your ftp-server... Warning: I am having problems querying the ftp server you specified (ftp.freebsd.org).

I thought maybe I can get these files if I build my own release - so I did that. I checked out the sources from https://git.freebsd.org/src.git (stable/13) and cross-build the release. Below are the most essential lines of my build:
Code:
make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=armv7 UBLDR_LOADADDR=0x88000000 -DWITH_FDT __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null SRCCONF=/dev/null
make buildkernel TARGET_ARCH=armv7 KERNCONF=GENERIC
make installworld TARGET_ARCH=armv7 -DWITHOUT_SHAREDOCS -DWITHOUT_EXAMPLES -DWITHOUT_GAMES -DWITHOUT_HTML -DWITHOUT_INFO -DWITHOUT_MAN DESTDIR=/mnt
make distribution TARGET_ARCH=armv7 DESTDIR=/mnt
make installkernel TARGET_ARCH=armv7 KERNCONF=GENERIC DESTDIR=/mnt

I was hoping that base.txz and kernel.txz would be created along the line of my build, but that did not happen :(

My attempt to find any .txz file did not yield any success.
Code:
find /mnt -type f -name '*.txz'

Regardless, I put my build onto an SD-Card and booted my BBB with it. At least that was a success. However, still no base.txz and kernel.txz anywhere :confused:

Obviously, I am missing something! Most likely it will be something very simple, but I can't figure out what. Does anybody know what I am missing? How can I build base.txz and kernel.txz for my BeagleBone Black?

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

The BBB, is that armv7?

Could you not grab the files you need from the .img here?

It is under ISO-IMAGES so presumably it is an installer image rather than an expandable hard drive?

OP
Andreas Strauch

Andreas Strauch

Thanks for the tip regarding release.sh, which helped to get things running very conveniently. Still, for arm/armv7 it doesn't give me the distribution files. I installed a fresh FreeBSD-13 VM with no packages (other than git(1) and tmux(1)) and ran the following commands:

Code:
cd /usr/src/release/
sh release.sh -c arm/GENERICSD.conf

Around 4.5h later the build completed and I found the completed image under the /scratch/R directory.
Code:
root@buildhost2:~ # ls -lah /scratch/R/
total 391952
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512B Jun 13 15:13 .
drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel   512B Jun 13 15:09 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   124B Jun 13 15:13 CHECKSUM.SHA256
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   188B Jun 13 15:13 CHECKSUM.SHA512
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   383M Jun 13 15:09 FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm-armv7-GENERICSD.img.xz

It seems somehow I am still missing that last step to create the *.txz files?
Code:
root@buildhost2:~ # find /scratch -type f -name '*.txz'
root@buildhost2:~ #

Does anybody know what that last step (that I am obviously missing) is?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Look in the image file. It contains everything to 'burn' that installer to a USB stick. If you want the separate files then building an FTP install directory is probably easier to use.

acheron

Aspiring Daemon
Developer

Try this in /usr/src/release (assuming you've already built the world): make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv7 base.txz

OP
Andreas Strauch

Andreas Strauch

Uh... this feels like getting closer. It doesn't work yet, but I think this could be the right track...

Code:
root@buildhost2:/usr/src/release # make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv7 base.txz
[Creating objdir /usr/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/release...]
mkdir -p dist
cd /usr/src/release/.. && make TARGET_ARCH=armv7 TARGET=arm distributeworld DISTDIR=/usr/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/release/dist
make[2]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 105: A build is required first.  You may have the wrong MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set.

make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/release

It looks almost as release.sh is a nice "one-stop-shop" but it doesn't play well with the "more manual" build commands. I might need to find out what to set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to after a release.sh build and continue the trail from there. I will keep you posted...

mtu

You have manually command to build the world first, then you can pack it all up into base.txz:
Code:
make -C /usr/src/ SRCCONF=/my/src.conf -j7 buildworld
make -C /usr/src/release SRCCONF=/my/src.conf base.txz
… is how I have done it.

T-Daemon

Daemon

It's more likely MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is /scratch/tmp/obj.

From post #6
Code:
sh release.sh -c arm/GENERICSD.conf

/usr/src/release/release.sh
Code:
     57         # The directory within which the release will be built.
     58         CHROOTDIR="/scratch"
    211         CHROOT_MAKEENV="${CHROOT_MAKEENV} \
    212                 MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=${CHROOTDIR}/tmp/obj"

OP
Andreas Strauch

Andreas Strauch

T-Daemon, I tried what you suggested in post #12 but no success yet:
Code:
root@buildhost2:/usr/src/release # sh release.sh -c arm/GENERICSD.conf

root@buildhost2:/usr/src/release # setenv MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /scratch/tmp/obj
root@buildhost2:/usr/src/release # make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv7 base.txz
[Creating objdir /scratch/tmp/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/release...]
mkdir -p dist
cd /usr/src/release/.. && make TARGET_ARCH=armv7 TARGET=arm distributeworld DISTDIR=/scratch/tmp/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/release/dist
make[2]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 105: A build is required first.  You may have the wrong MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set.

make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/release

Also, setting the MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to /usr/obj as acheron suggested in post #10 doesn't work (yields the same error as listed above).

I need a little more time (probably tonight) to try what mtu has suggested in post #11.

OP
Andreas Strauch

Andreas Strauch

o.k. - I found 2 solutions how to get to base.txz. The first modifies release.sh and the second does it all from the command line.

1st option:

I have tried to manually build base.txz after a successful run of release.sh, but never succeeded. It seems that I was either missing environment variables or did not chroot into the right location. Eventually I simply added a line into the chroot_arm_build_release() subroutine of release.sh:
Code:
371    chroot_arm_build_release() {
372        load_target_env
386        export MAKE_FLAGS="${MAKE_FLAGS} ${CONF_FILES}"
387        eval chroot ${CHROOTDIR} env WITH_UNIFIED_OBJDIR=1 make ${MAKE_FLAGS} -C /usr/src/release obj
>>>
+++        eval chroot ${CHROOTDIR} env WITH_UNIFIED_OBJDIR=1 make ${MAKE_FLAGS} -C /usr/src/release base.txz
<<<
388        export WORLDDIR="$(eval chroot ${CHROOTDIR} make ${MAKE_FLAGS} -C /usr/src/release -V WORLDDIR)"
415        return 0
416    } # chroot_arm_build_release()
While it ain't pretty, it does the trick and puts base.txz into the /scratch/scratch/tmp/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/release/ directory during a release.

2nd option:

Basically building world and then building base.txz directly after.
Code:
export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/scratch/obj
mkdir -p /scratch/usr/src && mkdir $MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX
git clone -b stable/13 --depth 1 https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /scratch/usr/src
make -C /scratch/usr/src -j16 TARGET_ARCH=armv7 UBLDR_LOADADDR=0x88000000 -DWITH_FDT __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null SRCCONF=/dev/null buildworld
make -C /scratch/usr/src/release TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv7 base.txz

The base.txz file will be located under the /scratch/obj/scratch/usr/src/arm.armv7/release/ directory.