Solved How to get nvidia to detect monitors and allow duel configuration.

Q.
I am setting up a new workstation and this thing has an Nvidia GT-730 card. I have gotten the MateeGDM running but only on one monitor. When I go into System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Displays only a single monitor is shown of the two that are connected to the video card. That monitor is said to be Unknown. Pressing the detect button does nothing.

On the much older system that I previously used both monitors and their specific names were automatically detected. I suspect that this problem has something to do with the fact an Nvidia card is involved. However I have no idea how to fix this.
Any help would be appreciated.

A.
1. Install nvidia-driver-390
2. Install nvidia-xconfig
3. Add kld_list="linux nvidia nvidia-modeset" to /etc/rc.conf
4. Run nvidia-xconfig
5. Reboot

Last edited:
I have that installed. But it is not much use if one does not already know what settings require what values.

nvidia-settings -q all
ERROR: Unable to load info from any avaiable system

In Xorg.0.log I see this:
Code:
[    70.563] (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatable NVIDIA X driver not found)

I have nvidia-driver-390, nvidia-settings, and nvidia-xconfig installed.

Prehaps I have not made myself clear. nvidia-settings does not start the gui.

What it says is that the control display is undefined.

You need to tell Xorg to load the correct driver:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier     "Device0" # or whatever name
  Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Xorg does not load nvidia automatically. (Despite that GLX complaint, yes.)

If it's using the vesa driver, I have found that nvidia-xconfig configures it all automatically for me. On a multi-monitor system, I do that, add the proper lines to rc.conf or /boot/loader.conf to be sure the nvidia module is loading and startx manually from the command line. (using an .xinitrc file). It starts, using nvidia drivers. Then, to configure the monitors, while in X I run sudo nvidia-settings, which opens up a GUI, showing the various monitors. I can usually drag them to where I want them, in other words monitor X lower left, Y lower right, and so on and make other adjustments as well if needed.

Honestly, the message is a bit too odd for VESA as well. I'm not quite sure what that means. Complete Xorg.0.log is necessary here.

I will approach this in bite-sized pieces. The Nvidia card is reported to be a GTK-730. I gather from WIkipedia that this is a 2006 card. The first questions that I have are:

1. What is the correct driver package for this card in 12.1?
nvidia-driver-440
nvidia-driver-390
nvidia-driver-340
nvidia-driver-304

2, What is the correct drm module for this card?
drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
drm-kmod
drm-legacy-kmod

Once I know that have the correct versions of these installed then I will start looking at configuration issues.

The Nvidia card is reported to be a GTK-730.
GT-730? That should be supported by x11/nvidia-driver.

I gather from WIkipedia that this is a 2006 card.
Then it's not a GT-730 (it was released in 2014). In that case Criosphinx is correct you need the 304 driver. But, I've been told that driver is broken with the latest Xorg versions. So that means you're out of luck.

What is the correct drm module for this card?
None, you don't need any of those.

The steps that worked for me with the GT730 Nvidia card installed were:

1. pkg install nvidia-driver-390
2. pkg install nvidia-xconfig
3. Edit /etc/rc.conf
Code:
### linux module must precede nvidia modules from binary packages
kld_list="linux nvidia nvidia-modeset"
4. Run nvidia-xconfig without options or switches to create the default /etc/X11/xorg.conf
5. Reboot

Both DVI and HDMI ports now work and both monitors are found and display video correctly. The Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) modules do not work with the Nvidia drivers.

To add Nvidia X Server Settings to Mate's System Control Center install nvidia-settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: a6h
Back