How to enable ue0 interface

balanga

Daemon

I read somewhere that it is possible to enable a ue0 interface for a Huawei E3372 USB stick...

It's mentioned here

Has anyone here every managed to configure it?

OP
OP
B

balanga

Daemon

The article mentions:
Code:
Huawei E3372 seems to be a CDCE device. /boot/loader.conf has to have a line if_cdce_load="YES". Only usb_modeswitch works with this one. Command:
/usr/local/sbin/usb_modeswitch --default-vendor 0x12d1 --default-product 0x1f01 -J

Device ue0 appears to be configured (with ifconfig -command). Using 'dhclient ue0' a network address is found and using the address and adding a default router the network interface is usable
Has anyone tried this? I guess it may be worth trying, but how do I backout if it messes something up?

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

No backing out. I don't see a problem with trying.
Worse come to worse you boot up off a FreeBSD memstick installer goto LiveCD mode and mount the drive and remove the offending line.

OP
OP
B

balanga

Daemon

It seems I completely misunderstood the post. The ue0 interface arises when trying to use USB tethering from a mobile phone. So it looks like you can connect to the Internet using your phone's dialer rather than connecting to it via wifi.

Never tried this before...

dch

balanga I do this regularly - in fact this week, my office internet's been down and I'm tethering my entire network off it :/

- install comms/usbmuxd
- plug your iphone in and check it was recognised in last few lines of dmesg:

Code:
[57198] ugen0.7: <Apple Inc. iPhone> at usbus0
- run sudo /usr/local/sbin/usbmuxd -vzU root
- then sudo /sbin/dhclient -b ue0

and you should be fine. I find its noticeably better than connecting via wifi for latency, but on my laptop it also charges up the phone as well, which is not always desirable.