Solved How to EFI dual-boot FreeBSD and Linux

Hello.

I'm reading the information about UEFI and there is kind of a manager efibootmgr which I haven't found under FreeBSD. I want to install a second operating system (Debian). Now I stacked - how to add boot instruction to the FreeBSD boot loader to choose exactly which system to start? I can choose the boot point from the UEFI firmware, but how to place different ones in one slice (ada0p1)?

Or maybe I'm totally wrong in understanding such, feel free to bite.

Thank you.

Is there a specific reason why this is in the Other Architectures forum? Is this not about the i386 or amd64 platform?

There's no UEFI boot manager, at least not yet. I do believe it's being worked on. If the Linux you want to install does have one why not use that? If all else fails you can always use the boot features of your UEFI, that should allow you to choose which OS to load.

Although this is two years old, it came up in a search for FreeBSD uefi, so I'll mention my experience here. Playing around with this on a VirtualBox install, I was able to get it working as SirDice describes. Basically, to change between Linux (Fedora) and FreeBSD, I had to hit escape as it booted, which gave me access to a manager that allowed me to choose Fedora or FreeBSD. (Using Fedora's efibootmgr, I could choose to boot up FreeBSD the next time, but that was all--it didn't enable me to create a menu that could choose one or the other.)

Back