how to disable gdm sleep or suspend in freebsd14 with gnome?

Dear all:
I have machine installed freebsd14 with gnome and gdm. When I power on this machine, I don't login any user, the machine will die in some time. Whatever I do, the machine can't wake up to work. Some people tell me that it's a gdm problem, but I don't how to configure it. Anyone can show me how to disable gdm sleep or suspend in FreeBSD 14? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
To confirm, are you saying that you boot your system, never log in, and then see it power off, or enter suspend and it never wakes up?

Can you report the version of FreeBSD and Gnome you're running?

As for keeping Gnome from suspending, there was a thread on the freebsd-current mailing list back in November 2022 describing a related issue.Though it doesn't mention that a system won't wake up from suspend, Kirk McKusick reported finding that Gnome hard-codes an upper limit of 20 minutes idle time before suspending when the GDM login screen is active. That part sounds consistent with what you're experiencing.

To confirm, are you saying that you boot your system, never log in, and then see it power off, or enter suspend and it never wakes up?

Can you report the version of FreeBSD and Gnome you're running?

As for keeping Gnome from suspending, there was a thread on the freebsd-current mailing list back in November 2022 describing a related issue.Though it doesn't mention that a system won't wake up from suspend, Kirk McKusick reported finding that Gnome hard-codes an upper limit of 20 minutes idle time before suspending when the GDM login screen is active. That part sounds consistent with what you're experiencing.
Dear samjenk :
thanks for your help . my app version is below.
gnome : gnome-lite-42_5
xorg : xorg-7.7_3
gdm : 42.0_7
nvidia : nvidia-driver-550.54.14

thanks.

It appears to be a gdm issue. I usually disable gdm and manually launch GNOME from the shell or install an alternate X display manager... i.e. lightdm

It appears to be a gdm issue. I usually disable gdm and manually launch GNOME from the shell or install an alternate X display manager... i.e. lightdm
Dear starcat :
thanks for your reply. when you disable gdm , how to launch gnome ? can you show me the step ? thanks.

Back