Xfce How to disable bsdisks automounter?

bsduck

Hello,

Xfce in FreeBSD has been recently including by default a new automounting system, using sysutils/bsdisks.

I experimented a bit with various external drives, and found it totally unreliable as of now.

With the disk formatted
... as UFS, it shows two entries in Thunar (one for /dev/da0 and one for /dev/da0p1) for a single partition disk.
... as ext2, it cannot mount it.
... as exFAT, I end up with gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor hanging at high CPU usage, when unmounting the disk from Thunar.
... as FAT32, it fails to mount it and crashes, if the disk has UTF-8 filenames (for which there is the -L xx_XX.UTF-8 option when using mount_msdosfs).

I don't understand how such a buggy piece of software can be installed and enabled by default. I have nothing against automounting, but no automounting is for sure better than a mechanism that fails most of the time, being more of an annoyance than something useful.

How can I disable this? I cannot remove bsdisks without breaking dependencies.

Jaekelsson

I had this problem with XFCE.

I had to disable bsdisks :
The only solution i found is to rename or delete the file :
/usr/local/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.UDisks2.service
bsdisks won't start again.

I'm searching for a better solution.

Jaskie

Any solution now? umount exFat flash drive is eating my CPU now.

grahamperrin

Daemon

<https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/bsdisks#requiredforRun>

… remove bsdisks without breaking dependencies.

I'm curious, what breakage occurs as a result of forced deletion of the one package?

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg delete -f bsdisks
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        bsdisks: 0.26

Number of packages to be removed: 1

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]:

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

Maybe try installing sysutils/automount rather than disabling automounter altogether?

Can't speak for xfce, but I'm using bsdisks with KDE and with Mate and it works fine, however, in each install I also have Vermaden's sysutils/automount installed. I've been using it for about 3-4 years with no problems.

OP
bsduck

bsduck

I'm curious, what breakage occurs as a result of forced deletion of the one package?
That probably wouldn't cause any kind of trouble, but it will be reinstalled automatically whenever packages listing it as a dependency get upgraded.

Any solution now? umount exFat flash drive is eating my CPU now.
As long as this problem doesn't get fixed, don't unmount volumes from the file manager, but use umount from command line instead.

It seems there is no bug report yet, I will open one.