How to deal with an interrupt storm?

OK. Just built a custom kernel. All went as usual. But I appear to be dealing with an interrupt storm. Takes forever to see the keys I press actually echo to the screen. The command halt -p takes about 25 minutes to complete after hitting enter. top -SI refreshes about once in 20 seconds. It currently shows load averages 8.53, 4.92, 1.78. What?! This a Laptop! inr hovers around 33%. But nothing is running -- nothing.
I can't really run the usual "status" utilities/commands. Because all I get are "freeze frames" of the output.
Any thoughts on how I might track down the culprit(s)? FWIW this is on a Dell (Pentium M) laptop (i386). src && ports svn(1) up'ped last night (PDT).

Thanks!

--Chris

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply, Phishfry !
Oh. I don't have any trouble booting it. I can boot single user, and make any adjustments I need/choose. My problem is understanding/finding out why. So I can fix it. :)

Thanks again, Phishfry !

--Chris

What about
# vmstat -i
Since I'm also trying to get FreeBSD to leverage the full capabilities of the Intel (82)915GM* video card in this. I decided to try and spin up a different *BSD. In doing so. I discovered I don't experience the interrupt storm. So evidently, FreeBSD is tickling, or misinterpreting something other BSD', and OS' don't. I'm in the middle of an install on it ATM. But when I'm finished, and have had some time to take a closer look. I should have some useful info, to file a bug report, and patch on bugzilla. Not to mention, a (good) working copy of FreeBSD, on it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, dlegrand !

--Chris

OK. vmstat -i reveals a very high count for the keyboard. About 1/3rd the total number for the CPU (single core), after an uptime(1) of ~3 minutes.
What would account for this? I'm guessing because of it being trackpad && keyboard?
I have no trouble installing && running 10.4 on it. I may well be able to run 11.(0|1). But 11.2 is for sure the cutoff point. I hit the inability to get (nearly) any output to the console, w/o tapping one of the arrow keys on the keyboard.
I don't know what's blocking. But the interrupts are way too high.

Insights?

Thanks!

--Chris

Since it's a custom kernel, just boot off the original kernel.

Then compare your kernel config file to GENERIC, and make a list of everything that is different.

Then start with GENERIC, make a single change to it, and test it. If everything still works, make one more change, and test it. Repeat until it breaks, and you'll have your culprit.

Will take awhile, sure, but you'll know for sure which change is causing the issue.

I actually started testing GENERIC installs (accounts for the time span from last post on this to now). Anyway. I can actually see the problem develop during the 11.2 &&11.4 installation. IOW I have to tap an arrow key to get through the "additional user setup". But that just screws up the password (password mismatch). So it takes a couple tries to get through. Then once installed, followed by a reboot. Things just get worse. :(

Thanks, phoenix !

--Chris

OK. Just did a couple more tests. 10.4-SABLE is as far as I can get before getting the intermittent console output. :(
I'm browsing the FreeBSD svn repo. But not too hopeful I'll be able to find a clue w/o a whole lot of time. :(

Any insights greatly appreciated! :)

--Chris

Which system console driver is used on each system? IIRC, 10.x uses sc(4) by default while 11.x uses vt(4) by default. Maybe the laptop doesn't like how vt works?

You can test that by enabling vt on the 10 install to see what happens, or configure the 11 install to use sc.

Thanks, phoenix ! I think you're right (about 10x). But because it's got a i915 chipset (video), I enabled vt(4), and loaded the i915kms module. So it's all consistent between versions/systems.

Thank you very much, phoenix , for taking the time to help!

--Chris

Back