Solved How to contact the port maintainer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 63539

I use some ports (in binary package form) that outdated. It seemed the maintainers stopped updating them to the latest version. How could I contact the maintainers to let them know there is a new version?

I see you've opened up some PR. Why don't you submit a patch right now? Just writing "please update port xyz" is always a bit rude to me personally.
Because I failed to build them myself. I think they need to be patched for FreeBSD, so I think I would better contact the maintainers. I don't have the C/C++ skills needed to fix it myself. This is the best I can do.

p/s: Sorry, I don't know if that considered as rude. I don't speak English and use Google Translate to help translate 1:1 word to word from my language to English. I will try to make my words more polite in English. Sorry.

Sorry, I don't know if that considered as rude.
Don't worry, I don't consider such a PR "rude" in general. I didn't see the one in question here, and of course, it's always perfect if you can attach a patch, but that's not a requirement. If you have a need for a newer version, I think a PR is a proper way, best describing the need as well (like "includes great feature foo", "is required for proper integration with bar", "has important security fixes", etc.). But yes, it might be nicer to ask the maintainer by email first :)

Back