Solved How to completely uninstall Synth

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to completely remove Synth and the local repo it created. I do not like having to compile the same programs every time I upgrade-system when portmaster works fine. Everything from uninstalling Synth to restoring my default repo would be apprieciated. Thanks

I have done this but can't remember the steps. Was ports-mgmt/synth on the machine you were building for or another machine? I can see if I have my instructions for installing and go backwards - will post back if I have something useful.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah Synth was for this machine. I guess I don't really need it anymore. Portmaster serves me fine. Moreover for some reason it was screwing up my Audacity install.

Well, my docs were not very good. So I am sure you already have removed it via pkg. The only other thing I think you may need to remove are the directories it created which are listed here: Synth, plus if the repository was self hosted, this file probably needs to be changed to "yes":

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  enabled: no
}

I can't remember if synth created /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf or if I had to. I had my synth instance on another machine and used that machine as a repo so my set up was different, but it was also a few months ago and I didn't keep docs around because I stopped using synth.

Hope that was at least somewhat helpful, if not a bit of a ramble ;)

Well, my docs were not very good. So I am sure you already have removed it via pkg. The only other thing I think you may need to remove are the directories it created which are listed here: Synth, plus if the repository was self hosted, this file probably needs to be changed to "yes":

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  enabled: no
}

I can't remember if synth created /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf or if I had to. I had my synth instance on another machine and used that machine as a repo so my set up was different, but it was also a few months ago and I didn't keep docs around because I stopped using synth.

Hope that was at least somewhat helpful, if not a bit of a ramble ;)

Thanks! That did it. Synth made a file under /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos with a 00_xx at the beginning of the filename. I deleted that, deleted my repo and any leftover folders. I think I will stick to ports only since I have a better machine to build on. Thanks again.

I tried again to use Synth but I chaged my mind and I uninstall everything but Synt made also /usr/obj/synth-live and inside are:
/Base
/SLO1
/SLO2
/SLO3
I do not remember that I had those before?

Thanks.

Back