Solved How to change the FreeBSD logo which appears as soon it boots with that of the little devil.

Hello.

I would be happy if someone could put me in the right direction helping me to understand how to change this FreeBSD logo that I see as soon as it boots :

Screenshot_2022-07-24_20-59-54.jpg

with this,which I like much more :
image_widget_w0nk11mh60i71.png

After having installed the package "bsd-splash-changer",I've got the following message :

Code:
Message from bsd-splash-changer-060211:

--

To use the port you need to perform the following steps:

1) Place your image files into /usr/local/share/bsd-splash-changer.

2) Add the following to /etc/rc.conf[.local] to enable it:

splash_changer_enable="YES"

3) Enable the boot splash screen as described in splash(4) and set the

following in /boot/loader.conf[.local]:

bitmap_name="/boot/splash"

Also, be careful if you already have a file "/boot/splash" because it will be

replaced when the script is executed.

my doubts are :

1) Place your image files into /usr/local/share/bsd-splash-changer : which kind of files should I place here ?
2) Which kind of file is splash ? is it the beastie image ?

... how to change this FreeBSD logo that I see as soon as it boots :
Images at the boot menu can be displayed only in frame buffer. If the system is BIOS, it must support Vesa BIOS Extension (VBE) ( VT(vbefb): ). UEFI firmware does support frame buffer ( VT(efifb): ): dmesg | grep 'VT(' .

From the opening post #1, save beastie in browser on local system, i.e daemon.png, mv daemon.png /boot/images.

Code:
# cd /boot/lua
# cp gfx-orb.lua gfx-daemon.lua
# sed -i '' 's/freebsd-logo-rev.png/daemon.png/' gfx-daemon.lua

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
loader_logo="daemon"
Reboot system.

Image of a EFI VirtualBox VM.

daemon-boot-menu.png

Images at the boot menu can be displayed only in frame buffer. If the system is BIOS, it must support Vesa BIOS Extension (VBE) ( VT(vbefb): ). UEFI firmware does support frame buffer ( VT(efifb): ): dmesg | grep 'VT(' .

From the opening post #1, save beastie in browser on local system, i.e daemon.png, mv daemon.png /boot/images.

Code:
# cd /boot/lua

/etc/loader.conf
Code:
loader_logo="daemon"
Reboot system.

View attachment 14470

So nice,this is what I want ! Ya know,Beastie is just like me.

Code:
# cd /boot/lua

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
loader_logo="daemon"
Reboot system.

View attachment 14470

Yes that works, well ... but not completely.

It definitely works for the png file of the beastie as provided by Freebsd. But for other png files it is a bit hit and miss.

I have tried various of my own png files, but they do not work, and the logo reverts to the text logo. I have also tried various png files that I downloaded from the internet. It seems to work with some transparent pngs. I have not worked out the criteria of what works and what does not.

Here are three pngs that do work and you can have next to the boot menu:

q11.png
q14.png
q15.png

Yes that works, well ... but not completely.

It definitely works for the png file of the beastie as provided by Freebsd. But for other png files it is a bit hit and miss.

I have tried various of my own png files, but they do not work, and the logo reverts to the text logo. I have also tried various png files that I downloaded from the internet. It seems to work with some transparent pngs. I have not worked out the criteria of what works and what does not.

Here are three pngs that do work and you can have next to the boot menu:

View attachment 14471 View attachment 14472 View attachment 14473

can you add one image of Beastie with which it works great ?

Back