How to change brightness with Fn key?

Just installed FreeBSD 10.1, with GNOME 3 on a Sony Vaio laptop.

Everything works fine, including being able to control the volume with Fn + (F3 or F4). However, the Fn + (F5 or F6) key combinations do not change the brightness.

When trying to change brightness by the command line, with xbacklight, I always get the error "no outputs have backlight property".

Thanks. I've tried your suggestion, and now, when I try to use xbacklight, I do not get an error, but the backlight does not change. The keys still do nothing.

Try to play with the value of the dev.acpi_sony.0.brightness sysctl to see if it is even working. It is also possible, that you would need some utility like deskutils/tpb for IBM ThinkPads to hook onto buttons.

Try to play with the value of the dev.acpi_sony.0.brightness sysctl to see if it is even working. It is also possible, that you would need some utility like deskutils/tpb for IBM ThinkPads to hook onto buttons.
Sorry, I am not familiar with that command. Could you please tell me exactly what to enter into the terminal to change the brightness?

Back