Solved How to Backup bhyve zfs

Hi,

I currently do zfs send/receive to an external back server... This allows me to restore all my jails and host...

My question is: will my bhyve vm be saved using zfs snapshots?

Or do I need to implement another step in my backup strategy?

My question is: will my bhyve vm be saved using zfs snapshots?
They're just ZFS filesystems like any other. So why wouldn't it? You only need to take care to also snapshot the zvol volumes as they are 'separate' from the VM info.

You can snapshot the datasets that store the virtual machine data and send that to another machine. As mentioned, make sure you are clear on which datasets store the vm data and that they are all included in the backup.

Bear is mind that if you snapshot and send/recv while the guest is running you get what's commonly called a "crash consistent" backup. Really terrible name tbh, as it's likely the data on the guest's file system may not be consistent. All it means is that the backup is "consistent" with what you would get if a real server crashed. If you boot up the backup copy, as far as it's concerned it just suddenly lost power with no warning when the snapshot was taken. Generally you'll get away with this (It's all I'm doing at the moment) but enterprise virtualisation systems go a bit further to make sure the guest is ready to be backed up.

Back