Solved How to activate en_DK.UTF-8 in FreeBSD properly

In Linux there is something like en_DK.UTF-8 to use the English language but international time/date formatting. I could only find this hack to install en_DK.UTF-8 in FreeBSD.

Is this the right way to have something like en_DK.UTF-8 in FreeBSD?

I typically just use en_GB. As that's English with a European style date (day-month-year).

I typically just use en_GB. As that's English with a European style date (day-month-year).
That is NOT a European style date. That is a British-style date. Which happens to be just as much annoying for most citizens of Europe as the US-style date does. For proper ISO 8601 date format of "YYYY-MM-DD" one does need the en_DK locale, which is what it was designed for.

en_DK.UTF-8 is now available in the ports as misc/locale-en_DK: https://www.freshports.org/misc/locale-en_DK/

Information on how to set it up is available in the pkg-message of that port.
This does not seem to be useful at all. What pkg query "%M" locale-en_DK prints out is for use from .login_conf, which is NOT what most people are after. So I did not try if that actually works or not. What I did try was locale -a without setting PATH_LOCALE (this showed no en_DK), and then locale -a with PATH_LOCALE set to /usr/local/share/locale (which indeed includes en_DK.UTF-8). Unfortunately, with the latter one also loses almost all other UTF-8 locales, for example no hu_HU.UTF-8 (instead there is simply a hu locale), but the same goes for most other countries.
For the sake of fairness, the port does display that it has no maintainer and therefore it may be broken. I don't know if it is really broken, or this useless by design.

Anybody here from the core-team reading this?
Should I open a bug-report and ask for the en_DK.UTF-8 locale to be included in the base system?

Keve

Opening a bug report in this case is the right thing to do. If you also have a patch that would resolve the issue, it's best to include it with the bug report on Bugzilla.

Back