How do you organize your home directory?

I am reorganizing my home directory and would like to see what other FreeBSD-ers like to do. I'm curious about setting it up much like the '/' directory, but I'm not sure if that system will even work since they are laid out for totally different purposes.

One thing I really hate on Windows or Mac OS X is that directories are laid out for you in '~/' and you really cannot remove and rename them without messing some things up. I'm talking about having the "standard" Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.

I'm also thinking of keeping a text file called HIER in my '~/' which explains the purpose of each subdirectory (mainly so I don't forget). Here's what I've been thinking up so far:

Code:
/usr/home/agi/HIER
Layout of directories within agi's $HOME

art/    Location for the storage of multimedia files.  All multimedia is a form
        of art, hence the directory's name.

sounds/     Music and other sound files.
    images/     Wallpapers, personal photos, etc.
    movies/     Video files.

bin/   Personal scripts.  ~/bin is in the $PATH.  Periodic scripts get their own 
       entry in the crontab.

etc/    For storage of valuable configuration files, such as that of a 
        customized kernel and any other dotfiles within the home directory in 
	which a lot of time and care has been invested.  Those files should be 
	symlinked to the home directory while actually stored here.

opt/    Miscellaneous files that do not belong in the other directories.

transfer/   Downloads from web browsers, ftp applications, and bittorrent
            clients begin here.  These files are sorted after the transfer has
            been completed. NOTE: THINK OF A SHORTER (3-5 LETTERS) AND WITTER 
	    DIRECTORY NAME FOR DOWNLOADS

var/    Variable files, that is, files that change in size or presence
        relatively frequently.

build/  Source code and build files are stored and processed here.  Each
            package to be built gets its own subdirectory with the same name as
            the package.

text/   Human-readable documents of type .txt, .tex, or with no extension.
            Each TeX document gets its own subdirectory with the same name as
            the file.  This is automatically created by the vl and vx scripts
            found in ~/bin.

tpl/    Contains TeX templates.
	    class/  Each school class gets its own subdirectory within this one
		    for archived assignments.

tmp/    A directory for temporary files just in case I need one in the home
	    directory NOTE: CONSIDER RENAMING TO nonsense/ JUST FOR FUN

wiki/   Zim wiki notes are kept in here.

This most likely doesn't follow standard UNIX directory hierarchy tradition, so if someone could link to the standards for that, it would be great. I'm considering following those as strictly as possible unless that just doesn't work for me, in which case I'll either fall back to documents/ downloads/ images/ or use this strange hybrid above.

So how do you guys do it? What works for you?

There are no standards for $HOME. It's your personal space, do what you want with it. :)

Mine is:
  • Documents
  • Downloads
  • Temp
  • scripts
  • Projects
  • Music
  • Movies

I usually make /home as separate partition on harddisk.
It works with greater speed by separate call to disk sectors.

bin
devel
doc
mnt
pic

most other stuff I put in
/files/*/*

where /files/* is separated zfs filesystem with different options (for example /files/archive has copies=3)

transfer/ Downloads from web browsers, ftp applications, and bittorrent
clients begin here. These files are sorted after the transfer has
been completed. NOTE: THINK OF A SHORTER (3-5 LETTERS) AND WITTER
DIRECTORY NAME FOR DOWNLOADS

How about "xfr"? It's a common three-letter acronym for "transfer".

And instead of killasmurf86's "devel" as a place to put all my software development projects, I use "src".

Also:

pix - pictures
flix - movies
snd - music and other audio files

and the usual

tmp
man
doc
bin
lib

But of course this lovely brevity can't be sustained when various apps create their own directories to hold user settings and stuff. If we insisted on agi93's scheme, we should force them to put their stuff under ~/etc, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

>How do you organize your home directory?

Like my real desktop, it's a very personal thing, a matter of taste and consequence.

i use to be very verbose with naming conventions, and to prefer deep hierarchies of directories containing few files. this makes easier to find files, but a bit longer to access them. since i have tons of files, though, i like this way

i have some generic directories, but when some topic gets its size, it gains its own hierarchy :)
an example:
Code:
business
camera (photos and video recordings)
development
|-- operating_systems
|   |-- documents
|   |-- projects
|   |   `-- freebsd
|   |       `-- ports (and so on)
|   `-- tests
`-- www
misc (this is the hierarchy i try to replicate in every other directory)
|-- audio
|-- documents
|-- fonts
|-- images
|-- models (3d stuff)
|-- software
`-- video
mobile_phone
music
pocket_pc
school
star_wars (example of a topic that gained its own hierarchy)

and ~/ is the temporary directory for downloads and generic stuff

I use the same organization as I use on my desk: None. It's just some chaotic hierarchy of files that I'm too used to to change. :D

And I place temporary stuff like downloads and others, into /tmp -- my ~/ is only for things that I want to keep.

Oxyd said:
I use the same organization as I use on my desk: None. It's just some chaotic hierarchy of files that I'm too used to to change. :D

And I place temporary stuff like downloads and others, into /tmp -- my ~/ is only for things that I want to keep.

That's why I love apples spotlight because I dump everything on the desktop or in download. :r

xzhayon said:
i use to be very verbose with naming conventions, and to prefer deep hierarchies of directories containing few files. this makes easier to find files, but a bit longer to access them. since i have tons of files, though, i like this way

It's my opinion that the more files you have, the more you'll like this type of structure and the more directories you'll want to keep things easy to find. If you have few files, all it does is get in the way. Whatever you do, YOU should be the one creating it, as that's the only way it'll make sense to the person using it.

Look at it this way - if you have a half dozen files, there's no point in creating directories to categorize things. (I started out similar to this - just threw everything in my home directory.) After a while, I got too much stuff in there and created Documents and Downloads and sifted through my home directory to sort everything. Documents then grew out of control, so I created further subdirectories (one for each store I take care of, one for personal stuff, another for accounting files, etc) under that one. Then my home directory grew too big again and I created Programs to hold scripts and apps I'd written, then I sifted appropriate files out of my home directory into that one. Things continued in this manner until I ended up with my present conglomeration.

Mine is like this - but in even more detail then I care to type out.

Code:
Docs
  Reference
  Personal
    Banking
    Resumes
    Tax
  Stories
  Books
  Receipts

Download
   APPS
   Docs
   Images
   Torrents

Images
   PhotoImports <-- From my Camera
   Backgrounds
   Pics <-- Organized Photo Albums

Projects
   Scripts
     Python
     sh
   C

bin
tmp

I keep multimedia such as mp3s and Divx on a separate drive of it own and have the directories as the genre names such as

Code:
AUDIO
  PUNK
    Artist Name
     Album Name
  CLASSICAL
    Artist Name
     Album Name

VIDEO
  TV
  Documentary
  Drama

Code:
download
tmp
f1 [formula 1 races and similar (gp2/wrc/...)]
gfx/wallpapers
gfx/misc
scripts (included in ${PATH})
website
movie
misc
misc/x11
misc/${OS} {freebsd/linux/solaris/...) (usefull hostos/info)
misc/sys/$( uname )/${CONFIG_FILES} (dirs: etc boot ...)
misc/${RANDOM_FILES} (a lot of info about everything)
misc/man (file) place to store useful one liners)
misc/books

... yes, [CMD=""]misc[/CMD] growed a little too big ;)

complete chaos. I create subdirectories and move stuff into them when [cmd=""]ls[/cmd] starts giving me more than around 20 lines.

I've always used:
  • /home/work-stuff : take a guess.
  • /home/misc : everything personal, including financial, music, contact info, etc.

Now, those two subdirectories each contain their own little hierarchical structures (that I seem to reorganize every couple years). But "home" stays clean.

These are all really cool ideas! It's interesting to see how people around here organize as verbosely as xzhayon to throwing all the files together like fonclynne.

Right now I'm thinking of something like:

Code:
art/    Multimedia is art, right?
    images/
    movies/
    sounds/

bin/    Personal scripts and other executables.

etc/    Valuable configuration files (ones I've put a lot of time and effort
        into).

opt/    This is basically for any file that just doesn't fit anywhere else here.

ref/    I just realized sometimes I like to download class notes, articles, and
        other PDF files that don't really change much, so they don't belong in
        ~/var/text.  This content could pretty much be read-only, so I gave it
        its own directory.  I would probably have called it ~/lib for `library'
        if /lib didn't mean something really different.

var/
    devel/  I liked the word `devel' more than `build' or `src', so I changed
            the name to that.
    text/
        tpl/    .tex templates
        class/  For classwork
    tmp/    Garbage, testing, etc.  I'm going to learn about jails soon to see
            if I can either isolate this directory or just use a jail for 
            testing scripts and stuff.
    wiki/   I love Zim-Wiki!

xfr/    Transfers from web browsers, bittorrent, ftp, and other
        internet-connected applications.

I like killasmurf's idea of putting a mnt directory in $HOME. Sometimes I just want to mount a flash drive and copy some files without worrying about permissions getting screwed up by using the root account. Is that pretty much how you use it, killasmurf?

And ckester, I know MirOS BSD forces all software (base system and third party) to put configuration files in ~/.etc, so it's not impossible. I've never used the OS, so I don't know how well that works.

BTW, does anyone know what the point of the /private directory in Mac OS X and iPhone OS is for? /var, /tmp, and /etc are symlinks to /private/[var,tmp,etc], respectively. What exactly does this accomplish? The man hier page is for some really old BSD version that doesn't even apply to OS X's hierarchy.

I just came up with another idea to simplify the top of my ~/. One directory, store, is for files that don't change much and might as well be read only for the most part. Think of it like an archive. The other, var, is for files that change in size or presence much more often, like projects I'm working on, downloads, and temporary files. I've also renamed ref/ to doc/. The ambiguity that might have been caused by the existence of ~/var/text is mitigated by doc/ being in ~/store (showing it's for PDFs, documentation, archived documents and notes, etc.).

It looks like this:

Code:
store/
    bin/
    doc/
    etc/
    img/
    mov/
    snd/

var/
    devel/
    text/
        tpl/
        class/
    tmp/
    wiki/
    xfr/

This just seems to make a lot of sense to me somehow, so I'll probably end up using this scheme.

I don't see the need for your "store" hierarchy, since I would tend to assume that anything outside of "var" is less volatile.

But if I did see a need for it, I think I might call it "const" instead, to better evoke the idea that it contains stuff that shouldn't be changing very often. It's also the antonym of "var".

Or maybe I'd draw an analogy from physics and set up directories called solid, liquid and gas. Would a temp directory be plasma? ;)

ice, water and steam might be fun names too.

I can see how having directories like that might make incremental backups easier.

Good point. I was thinking the same, for store/ seems to just take extra typing for no real gain in organization.

One time I saw someone who had something like this:

clinic/ for *.doc
pantry/ for *.jar
lumber/ for *.log
etc.

I thought that was creative :)

Here, I moved some directories to vault/, meaning they're deposited/archived there. I think I was thinking of an archive of some sort for store/, since projects I'm currently working on go in var/
Code:
bin/
etc/
var/
	devel/
	text/
		tpl/
		class/
	tmp/
	wiki/
vault/
	doc/