How do you deal with dust?

I've seen worse :e

Every once in a while I open up my machines and vacuum them.

michaelrmgreen said:
@SirDice - Don't vacuum cleaners create MASSIVE static then?
Never had any issues. But perhaps this is because I make sure the computer and the vacuum have the same charge. Grab the case before sticking the vacuum in there. Problems begin when there's a potential difference, that's when you get discharges and/or sparks.

Beastie said:
OT: I like your new postcount rank, SirDice ;)
Neat :e Hadn't noticed it yet. Must have happened when crossing the 6000 mark.

I also vacuum my PC's (approx once every 1-2 months)
Sometimes I also Open PSU box, and vacuum it as well.
Also I open Laptops, and vacuum them

When I was trying to open HP Compaq 6715b for the first time, it took me about 2 hours... and I didn't make it to open it.... There was 1 place, I thought I will break it..... but after 2 hours I realized, that I could get to most essential parts opened in about 5 minutes, by loosing 2x screws and opening 4 masqueraded switches.... uhhhh

killasmurf86 said:
When I was trying to open HP Compaq 6715b for the first time, it took me about 2 hours... and I didn't make it to open it....
You can find service manuals for pretty much everything they have on their website ;)

michaelrmgreen said:
There's an article on The Register about dust build up, oh look here it is : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/18/ventblockers_2/

How are YOU dealing with the ever present menace then?

Dust gets blamed for a lot of things, but it's usually not a problem. It will insulate heat sinks and clog fan screens, but it takes a lot to completely stop airflow. Blasting a machine with compressed air (outdoors) removes it well. Hold the fans to keep them from being spun too hard.

One thing I've seen that really can be blamed on dust: low-quality power supply fans jamming after a year or more exposure to harsh industrial environments. These are always bushing fans, ball-bearing fans will run nearly forever.

The TSA will be happy to touch your junk and keep you safe.

(Apologies if this joke is too incomprehensibly American. Dunno if that storyline has gotten any play in Europe.)

dust bunny

Check this out, opened up the laptop I had running FreeBSD, got from family- I don't think it was ever opened.. I thought it was pretty impressive.

-a5'

1106011207.jpg

ckester said:
The TSA will be happy to touch your junk and keep you safe.

(Apologies if this joke is too incomprehensibly American. Dunno if that storyline has gotten any play in Europe.)

Well, it may be understood.
Does the TSA clean your hardware, btw? Give the precious mobile unit a good blowing?
No? Then no tip, sorry :p

When it comes to dust in the machines, some anti static paint brush works pretty good in my experience.

SirDice said:
Grab the case before sticking the vacuum in there.

Which will not really do anything. You need to bring the plastic of the vacuum into contact with the case to even out the difference between it and the case. Ideally you should always have such a contact. Anti-Static armband for the vacuum.

I do the following:
1) Keep the room clean.
2) Use filters on the supply fans and use ~twice less powerful exhaust fans to keep pressure in the case. This make all air entering the case filtered. Also I use vacuum to remove dust from the fans filters as the part of the room cleaning.
After all there is still small amount of dust inside the case, but it's not growing - there is some kind of equilibrium there.

Once every 6 months or so I clean up CPU and GPU fans (+ reapply the cooling paste on CPU). Good old fashioned vacuum cleaner is more than OK for lot of this work. My old notebook - HP NC6220 - is used as DNS/boot/stream server. It's in the living room behind the sofa. When I can hear it I know it's ready for a cleanup :)

But this only applies to home server/workstation. I never had any problems with servers in DC (data center) nor ones in LAB (which is definitely more dusty).

Back