Xfce How do I install themes in xfce4?

I have installed Xfce4 as my desktop, but am puzzled about how to configure it with different themes. The default installation does not seem to come with any themes and iI do need to configure it quite a bit. As I am new to Xfce4 (previously used GNOME), can someone please tell me if there are any ports or packages that I can install to get all the available themes? If not, do I need to download them directly from some websites?

How hard is it to install the different themes?

What I am really seeking is a theme that will enable me to configure the panel so I can make it go invisible when windows are open until iI hover over it. At the moment, my panel is at the bottom of the screen and I can't see through it as it is always there.

Thanks.

Don't know about the themes, but Settings/Panel/Automatically hide the panel: Intelligently or Always does that.

Don't know about the themes, but Settings/Panel/Automatically hide the panel: Intelligently or Always does that.

I did do that, but then I installed cairo-dock instead which was exactly the type of panel what iI was looking for.

A new problem that cropped up was that I could not get rid of the last xfce panel. I read somewhere to issue a killall xfce-panel command in the terminal, then save the session. That should stop it re-appearing when I reboot. I did make the panel disappear, but wont know if things are working right until iI login again.

I have installed xfce4 as my desktop, but am puzzled about how to configure it with different themes. The default installation does not seem to come with any themes and i do need to configure it quite a bit. As I am new to xfce4 (previously used gnome), can someone please tell me if there are any ports or packages that I can install to get all the available themes? If not, do I need to download them directly from some websites?

How hard is it to install the different themes?

What I am really seeking is a theme that will enable me to configure the panel so I can make it go invisible when windows are open until i hover over it. At the moment, my panel is at the bottom of the screen and I can't see through it as it is always there.

thanks.

Xfce comes with several themes (see x11-themes/gtk-xfce-engine), but they work well (in fact only) with GTK2 applications. If you use GTK3 applications you should install x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard (or others, especially Numix, Greybird, Clearlooks-Phenix all available in ports tree).

For new Xfce users, I written a FAQ, I hope all your questions will be answered.

Back