Solved How do I get Xorg running?

D

Deleted member 61330

I'm just setting up HardenedBSD, which is based on FreeBSD.
I was trying to install and get Ice-WM running but whenever I try to run it,
I get some messages telling me that it can't open the display and that X must be running.

I have a screenshot of the problem at hand.
Problem_XorgNotStarting.png

So how do I get X running and the $DISPLAY set so I can start Ice-WM?

Thanks.

I already installed Xorg that way.
I need to know how to get it running so I can run Ice-WM!

First of all this forum is dedicated to FreeBSD and FreeBSD alone. Second you need to install Xorg and then create a shell script file (.xinitrc) in which you add exec icewm or exec icewm-session if you want to also run icewmbg and icewmtray.

I thought it was appropriate to post here because HardenedBSD is based on FreeBSD, so it should work similarly enough. Plus I could not find any community forums for HBSD anyway.

By the way, I just entered "exec icewm-session" but I got the same error as before.

I just entered "exec icewm-session" but I got the same error as before
Like Minbari said, create a file .xinitrc in your home directory with the content
exec icewm-session
and then start Xorg by entering
startx

A few hints:

If you want to use dbus, you write
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session icewm-session
instead.

You can also set your keyboard mapping in .xinitrc. For example i have a german keyboard and use this
setxkbmap de -variant nodeadkeys -model pc105

I managed to fix the problem.
I just keep "exec icewm-session" in .xinitrc and type startx beneath.
However, I have to manually startx everytime I log in to make it work but it's good enough for me.

However, I have to manually startx everytime I log in to make it work but it's good enough for me.
If you want a graphical login manager, you can install sddm for example.
pkg install sddm

then add this to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
sddm_enable="YES"

Note that you do not need the exec icewm-session in .xinitrc anymore in that case since sddm handles this now.

Back