How do I get edit posts enabled ?

FAQ explanation for edit posts does not really explain how to get edit posts enabled . . .
Many other forums, Fedora Forums as one example, give edit posts permission along with others . . .

But all I get is :

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may not edit your posts

It is very silly to make another second post for typos /spelling rather than just a simple edit of the original post.

Any way to enable edit posts ?

Thank you.

The FAQ states plainly: you need 10 posts AND 10 days of membership. Your membership started Jan 4th. This is an anti-spam measure, and it is non-negotiable.

Oh . . .

correcting typos in the original post by edit doesn't seem like as much spamming as
an entire new post to correct a typo . . .
but whatever. . .

Sorry that I hadn't found the 10 day rule under the FAQ edit posts section -
it is the only part turned off (now known to be until the 14th) so I didn't really look everywhere in FAQ.

Thanks.

Code:
Editing and Deleting your Posts
  Can I edit or delete my posts?
If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.
To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit Edit / Delete Message button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread.
Once you've made your modifications, a note may appear to inform other users that you have edited your post.
If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits.
Can others edit my posts?
Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages. If they do, there may not be a note telling other users that the post was modified.
  Editing your Posts

jenaniston said:
correcting typos in the original post by edit doesn't seem like as much spamming as
but whatever. . .
The rule is to prevent certain spambots that automatically post semi-relevant messages. Some of those bots return a few hours or days later to edit the posts they've done. Then all of a sudden those posts will contain links to questionable sites.

jenaniston said:
but whatever. . .

I understand that it may appear a bit exaggerated, but a trick that spammers often appear to be using is first posting a seemingly innocent message that doesn't need to be removed and then edit it to contain the spammy crap.

If new users are not allowed to edit their posts, this trick won't work and most spammers fortunately can't be bothered to wait until they're allowed to edit their posts.

In my opinion, legitimate new users not being able to edit their first couple of posts and therefore having to post an additional message or two is a minor inconvenience that is far outweighed by keeping spammers out the door.

Alphons

jenaniston said:

A well-know spammer tactic is to post a number of innocent-looking replies, leave them for a few hours, and then come back and edit them, pumping them full of spam links. Almost no 'human reader' will see those messages (everybody has read the original versions already and moved on to newer posts), but Google and other search engines will still pick them up and re-index them, which is what the spammer is ultimately after: getting his spam links on Google, with references from a highly regarded website (which the FreeBSD Forum is), boosting Page Rank and such. Every spammer will make a fatal mistake within the first ten posts or days, which makes it impossible for them to fly under the radar undetected. The slight and temporary inconvenience to bona-fide new posters to prevent a spam-riddled forum (and you will find no spam here, give or take a little bit of time to detect/report/remove it when it happens) is something you will just have to accept.

And, as always: think and re-read before you post, so you don't need to edit at all ;). There is a preview function in the (advanced) editor.

a link got messed in one of my posts

ok . . . thanks alot for all the info.

I preview all the time, but still . . .

So a word to the wise then to the newbies . . .
be careful in the preview of your posts before submitting to avoid typos in your posts!

Oh, whoops, better spend 5 minutes correcting that.

jenaniston said:
So a word to the wise then to the newbies . . .
be careful in the preview of your posts before submitting to avoid typos in your posts!

Msot tyops aer obiovus & not worht correctnig. Poeple spned too mutch tiem worriyng abtou slily thnigs. Sreioulsy.

fronclynne said:
Msot tyops aer obiovus & not worht correctnig. Poeple spned too mutch tiem worriyng abtou slily thnigs. Sreioulsy.

lol it's so true. But I am one of those people who are fairly obsessive compulsive as well. Even a petty typo bothers me. Maybe this is derived from all the spelling police on many forums we have to deal with as posters. But I think this rule is fair, not to mention very smart when weighing the reprocussions. However, it drove me nuts as well. My first 9 posts i was going nuts trying to find an edit post feature. I actually asked in my 9th post and then after I submitted a big red button labeled edit magically appeared in my face and I felt retarded. Now I know why and i am not as insane as my crazy doctor tells me. I would have never thought to read a FAQ for something so simple. But that would be my problem not yours.

inurneck said:
... My first 9 posts i was going nuts trying to find an edit post feature. I actually asked in my 9th post and then after I submitted a big red button labeled edit magically appeared in my face and I felt retarded. ...

nice one :e

fronclynne said:
. . . Poeple spned too mutch tiem worriyng abtou slily thnigs. Sreioulsy.

inurneck said:
lol it's so true. But I am one of those people who are fairly obsessive compulsive as well. Even a petty typo bothers me. Maybe this is derived from all the spelling police on many forums we have to deal with as posters. But I think this rule is fair, not to mention very smart when weighing the reprocussions. . . .

We may also get obsessive from having the non-human FreeBSD unix, linux, or FORTRAN IV monsters scrutinizing our commands and .confg files . . .

it must be a thousand times I have forgot a semicolon at the end of a /etc/dhcpd.conf dhcp server declaration.

@jenaniston:
IIRC I had to approve one of your first posts because there was a link to antoher website in it.
You're only allowed to post links after 10 posts, before the post doesn't appear in the forums and has to be moderated by us (which keeps a lot of spam posts away from your eyes).

Back