how can i tell if "make buildworld" is finished successfully

Hello there,

Last night I tried to make the world via: "make -j8 buildworld" command and just went away from my laptop and when back to it, the battery was dead and laptop was off. Just wanted to know if making buildworld outputs some sort of log file or anything that shows me if it the building was finished ? (with errors or successfully), so is there any indicator for it ?

Thanks.

I am not aware of any log file generated by build(7)() so You have to start again the build process.

Code:
# cd /usr/src
# make cleanworld
# make -j8 buildworld

Hello there,

Last night I tried to make the world via: "make -j8 buildworld" command and just went away from my laptop and when back to it, the battery was dead and laptop was off. Just wanted to know if making buildworld outputs some sort of log file or anything that shows me if it the building was finished ? (with errors or successfully), so is there any indicator for it ?

Thanks.

maybe attach a command to the end of make? someting like this

Code:
make buildworld && echo "finish" >> status

that way ensure that echo not run if the make command finish with errors

script(8) is the command you are looking for. Run that first. Then run the build. All output will be written to the console and to a log file called typescript in the current directory.

If the laptop dies again, you can check the log to see where it ended.

If the build finishes for any reason, just ctrl+d to end the script session, then read the log.

Back