How can I see the FreeBSD boot messages in my terminal?

Dear friends,
My FreeBSD system does not have a monitor, and I access that system throush ssh in putty. It is working allright, but the only problem that I have is that I cannot see all the messages during the boot process. I was wondering if there is a way I could see all those boot messages in my terminal while the FreeBSD system is booting, is it possible?? And one more thing, I cannot log on the system with root account through ssh, first I have to login with the normal account, and then doing su, why is that so?

dmesg(8)
Try:
Code:
dmesg -a
or
Code:
dmesg | while read line; do echo "$line"; sleep 0.5; done
Root logins are disallowed by default on FreeBSD for security reasons.
To enable or disable root login, you need to set this in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.
To enable direct root SSH login, you need to add following to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
Then restart sshd.

bes said:
Root logins are disallowed by default on FreeBSD for security reasons.
And you are highly advised to keep it that way!

• Thanks
Reactions: ucc
gabam said:
My FreeBSD system does not have a monitor, and I access that system throush ssh in putty. It is working allright, but the only problem that I have is that I cannot see all the messages during the boot process. I was wondering if there is a way I could see all those boot messages in my terminal while the FreeBSD system is booting, is it possible??

When booting, sshd isn't running yet, so no. Serial console connections and console servers connect at a lower level, but still might not be available for some of the startup, like the BIOS screen. There's Out-of-band management if you're very determined.

Back