jails How can I play media trough SSH?

I am trying to play media trough SSH running VLC in a bastille jail called briarcliff with the IP 192.168.1.1 and when I run
Code:
 ssh -CY briarcliff vlc
the VLC interface loads, but when I play an audio file, no sound comes out at all. And when I try to play a video file, it just blinks between all white, and black with an orange cone in the middle.

what am I doing wrong? am I missing some sort of configuration, do I need to install something, how can I accomplish this?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

but when I play an audio file, no sound comes out at all.
Where are you expecting the audio to come from? The remote X11 protocol you are using has no audio capabilities, so sound is never passed along to your side of the tunnel. If you want the audio to play on the braircliff machine you probably don't have access to the sound(4) devices (jails have limited access to devices, devfs.rules(5)).
And when I try to play a video file, it just blinks between all white, and black with an orange cone in the middle.
Remote X11 protocol is fairly slow and was never designed for data streams like video.

Remote X11 doesn't work the same as VLC or Windows' RDP does. It doesn't send the screen as data to your end of the connection, it sends the commands to draw the windows and widgets. They get rendered on your screen by your locally running X server.

Back