How can I change SDDM screen resolution

Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating FreeBSD 13.1 as new operating system. I installed it on a VMWare Fusion instance on my Mac. XWindow server + Mate runs fine after installing with desktop-installer. The resolution works with 1920x1200. Desktop-installer installed SDDM as login manger.
I would like to chnage the screen resolution also to 1920x1200, because the resolution is much more lower. Currently it runs with a extrem low resultion. I looks like 1024x768 or anything else. How can I change it?

Thanks in advance for hints.

Add xrandr -s 1920x1200 to /usr/local/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup.

Reboot for the change to take effect.

There may be a better place to put this command, but I have not found it yet.

Add xrandr -s 1920x1200 to /usr/local/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup.

Reboot for the change to take effect.

There may be a better place to put this command, but I have not found it yet.
could you please tell me how do i 'ADD' a command i'm new to linux and completely lost

could you please tell me how do i 'ADD' a command i'm new to linux and completely lost
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/basics/#editors

so in this case, from a root terminal:
ee /usr/local/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
then add the line to the file.

If this is unclear to you, you probably should take some time to read the Handbook, at least the first 7 chapters, if not the first 13.

Oh, and you're not using a variation of linux here, you are using the (far superior) FreeBSD operating system!

Alternative way (I use this for VirtualBox),

Create a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/monitor.conf:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "VGA-0"
  Options "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection
You just need to adjust the "VGA-0" to an appropriate identifier for your system.

Alternative way (I use this for VirtualBox),

Create a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/monitor.conf:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "VGA-0"
  Options "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection
You just need to adjust the "VGA-0" to an appropriate identifier for your system.
I did try this one but Xorg does not get launched.
I'm trying a FreeBSD as host and another FreeBSD as guest with Virtualbox.
virtualbox-ose-additions is installed and after login it properly auto detect the best mode for the screen.
But before login the screen resolution is very low, 800x600 I believe and I would like to set it to auto detect if possible because sometimes I use the monitor only with laptop lid closed.

Replying to myself, it happens a lot 😂
The fix is the Options word that should be Option instead.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "VGA-0"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection

Back