Solved How can I be connected to this ssid?

ifconfig shows I'm connected to ssid xfinitywifi

But that's somebody else's wifi. I don't have a password for it, and it's not in my wpa_supplicant.conf

It's Comcast hotspot. How do you connect to wireless network? Are you using a third-party program from the Ports Collection to manage your wireless connection (*),
or merely through basic wpa_supplicant.conf(5) configuration?

[EDIT]
(*) Some kind of check/uncheck/remember autoconnection setting in the GUI

A wifi access point can be configured to be "open", and not require a password to connect to it. Your wpa_supplicant.conf file probably has something in it that allows connecting to such a network automatically (no matter what the ssid is) if it can't connect to any other network.

Are you using a third-party program from the Ports Collection

No, it's a stock setup mostly. I use a window manager so there's no gui.

A wifi access point can be configured to be "open", and not require a password to connect to it. Your wpa_supplicant.conf file probably has something in it that allows connecting to such a network automatically (no matter what the ssid is) if it can't connect to any other network.
My wpa is pretty minimal:

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=2
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
ssid="my_ssid"
scan_ssid=0
psk="my_ssid_password"
priority=5
}
network={
        priority=0
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

It's that second "network" block that's causing what you are seeing - if it can't connect to network "my_ssid" for any reason (or gets disconnected temporarily), it will automatically try the second network block, which is a "any ssid that doesn't require a password" network.

Outstanding, this appears to be resolved. Deleting the second entry is the solution.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back