How can dowload KDE4 as full pakage?

hi

i want to install KDE 4 in freebsd 8, and i have no internet connection, so i need to download full files of KDE 4, but i found in ports page alot of files relates to kde ..! which one should i need??

also as i read here, X11 must be installed first!!? i need all files of x11 !!

but what is the benefit of X11?? and what is the difference between it an kde ??

Until one of the more knowledgeable posters replies I will try to answer a couple of your questions:
-All those dependencies you saw on the ports page are needed.
-X11 is a prerequisite to KDE. X11 is the actual graphics drawing code, where KDE is just a big app that uses that graphics code to draw it's pretty windows :eek:)
-Are you new to FreeBSD? if so, perhaps installing a copy of PC-BSD would get you up and running the quickest? The install CD comes with X11 and KDE4 (and their dependencies of course)

Sorry I'm not more help.
Good luck.

dear segfault ... what u have wrote is very usful for me !! thanx my friend!

can u tell me the commands that i should enter to install x11 & KDE4 from the CD?? actualy i am new in FreeBSD!

PC-BSD will do all the work for you. It's probably your quickest and easiest option.

yes sir, as DutchDaemon said, PCBSD will do everything for you. just get yourself the new install DVD from http://www.pcbsd.org, slap it in your machine and boot from the DVD.
The installer is quite pretty and should walk you through it painlessly.
NOTE: It will give you a choice of whether you want to install "FreeBSD" or "PC-BSD". I believe if you install FreeBSD it will not install KDE4 automatically. So choose "PC-BSD".

I love FreeBSD, but wish I had of had the PC-BSD option awhile back to just slap on desktops quickly.

Good luck.

If you want to download absolutely everything that is required by a package (including redundant packages (i.e already on the dvd) you can do this...

Code:
%mkdir ~/Packages
%export PACKAGES=~/Packages
%export PKG_DBDIR=~/Packages
%pkg_fetch -R kde4
%mv ~/Packages/All ~/Packages/kde4

This will create a folder called Packages in your home directory with another folder called kde4 which will contain absolutely everything required for KDE4 to run.

You will need the portupgrade package installed on your fetching computer. (for pkg_fetch)

I hope this helps.

Note: taking that 'download all packages' option will force you to configure X11 and KDE yourself! If you think FreeBSD is a steep learning curve, pile those two monsters on top of it ...

mmm what i need exactly is knowing how can i install my software in "freebsd" when i do not have internet connection!

my freebsd machine locates in my flat in which there is no internt, ..
just i want to carry my software in my own usb flash or CD, and i'll go to my freeBSD machine and install the sofware without internet!

so now, what are all files i need for:
x11

then

KDE4

i will put them in my usb flash!!

i already have installed PCBSD, but i need to learn how can install x11 & kde4 myself !
sorry again for my bad english
i hope that was clear for u??
i am waiting u...

Hmm, I am in exactly the same boat and it is a right pain... There are some choices...

1) Download the WHOLE packages collection from a pc that is online, and then mount that in a hard drive and do pkg_add so you are installing offline. This is a bit extreme...

2) Using an online freebsd computer, do what I suggested on the post above to make offline packages... packages.

3) Using the port collection, you can make a list of dependencies you need with something like make list-recursive-dependencies (? may need to look this one up) Using this list you can then download them on a windows machine

4) Get your jogging shoes on and a very heavy duty memory stick and run backwards and forwards to the offline pc to the online pc until all the dependencies have been satisfied.

... The whole problem here is that unix and unix-like operating systems have very complex package systems in the way of required dependencies etc... Whereas applications for Windows and Mac OS X (unix based I know) actually come with all the libraries that you need which are not included in base. This makes it a LOT easier for end users. I.e FreeBSD generally uses ONE version of gTK, ONE version of SDL whereas Windows will generally distribute a SDL.dll for every single application that the user installs on it.

Whilst the typical unix design is more logical, it may not be as practical if you are offline...

Why not just download the DVD? AFAIK there are quite some packages on it.

Granted, it'll be somewhat out of date but at least you can get things running.

kpedersen

u gave me perfect answer.. that what i need... alot tnanks for you.. where r u before :) !!

all the best

Back