history command

Hello,
I've a question about the history() command, but I can't find the answer in the manual.
On an old PC-BSD 9.2 install (I used it to get the hang of things BSD-wise) when I type history the output is the last 25 commands used, but the system keeps an history between session (there's a .history file in /root don't know if that's important).
On a fresh FreeBSD 9.2 install however history works only inside a session, if I reboot and invoke history again, the system shows nothing.
How can I have the computer 'save' history between sessions?
I'm using the default console csh(), if that's important.

Thanks in advance,

Gherardo

csh(1) history actions are controlled by entries in .cshrc. See man csh | less -p 'history \['.

It can get confusing when multiple terminals are open. The last one to close overwrites ~/.history. There are ways to load and merge the history with existing histories from other terminals.

First of all, thank you for your input.

I read
csh(1) and I put, in .cshrc

Code:
set history=1000
set savehist=100

This should have, as I understood, save the first thousand entries between one hundred sessions.
Unfortunatly it did nothing, so I went back and re-read all the man.

At that point I noticed there was no .history file so I did touch .history, and now it works as intended.
I'm curious why .history wasn't automatically created, but everything's ok.

Thanks again,

Gherardo

Gherardo said:
Code:
set savehist=100
You may want to use
Code:
set savehist=(1000 merge)
Which is the default nowadays. The merge will merge the current session history with what's already in the .history file.

Back