bhyve Hints for installing Fedora in bhyve?

I have managed to get Debian installed in bhyve and then ran a VNC server on it and got a full linux desktop at 4k resolution up and running, it was easy enough following the instructions in the handbook https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/virtualization/#virtualization-host-bhyve
Fedora was trickier, it required this step I've highlighted in bold that Debian didn't "This will start grub. If the installation CD contains a grub.cfg, a menu will be displayed. If not, the vmlinuz and initrd files must be located and loaded manually:" which I followed, then upon trying to run the Fedora installer it seemed to run ok for a while, then failed with:
Code:
         Starting Switch Root...
[FAILED] Failed to start Switch Root.
See 'systemctl status initrd-switch-root.service' for details.
systemctl status initrd-switch-root.service told me "Failed to switch root: Specified switch root path '/sysroot' does not seem to be an OS tree. os-release file is missing."
Can anyone suggest what to do at this step? Also, when I come to this step from the handbook grub> linux (hd0,msdos1)/vmlinuz-2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root what will root= probably be, /dev/vd0?
Thanks

Fedora and bhyve works without a problem. Just use the UEFI part of the handbook instead of the Linux chapter.

I could run "Fedora34 KDE" using vm-bhyve + uefi loader .... ;)

fedora_KDE_Bhyve.png

Ahh I see I need to use the UEFI instructions, I will test that when I get home. I was put off the UEFI idea when I saw it is limited to 1920x1200 resolution and I wanted 4k so I was about to use VirtualBox instead when a voice in my head said "Run virtualized Debian in a console and run a VNC server on it like the OrangePi Zero" so I made the VNC server on Debian instead, is that the normal appropriate solution to this problem? Do you guys use Fedora at 1920 or make a VNC server or another solution?

Sorry, haven't noticed your "4k condition"… Currently I'm running all my "graphic" VMs at 1920x1200px (regardless of whether VNC is provided by bhyve or installed manually by me on the guest system) - I don't want them to occupy more of my "real" desktop. Also VMs are servers or test environments to me, so in my case there's simply no need for more pixels - it's already luxuriously.

The VNC server in bhyve is really just designed as an admin console. In fact bhyve as a whole is more of an analogue to "server" hypervisors like esxi/xen than for workstation/graphical use.

Having said that, if you have 4k working in Debian by running VNC in the guest, I can't see why you couldn't use the UEFI/VNC features in bhyve to get the guest running, then simply do the same thing inside Fedora.

Indeed, Fedora accessed via VNC on my FreeBSD computer with the two 4k screens is how I have run my second computer for the last year (so I don't have to buy extra 4k screens).

One other issue - Debian does not seem to boot when I install it in bhyve with encryption... anyone have that working? I'll try out Debian with encryption with the UEFI method, maybe it'll work that way.

Back