High temperature with ATI video Card

Hi -

I'm a beginner on freeBSD but not on linux, I come from Archlinux. I'm giving freeBSD a shot. Everything is all right except the GPU's temperature which is around 86 °C just with xserver and mplayer. It seems very high while in linux the common temperature is 56 °C, but with the ATI proprietary catalyst driver. But even with free radeon driver, the temperature didn't increase more than 68 °C. I've already installed acpi port. I need to relearn name ports and similar packages with those of Linux that I know

Currently I'm using radeon driver, but if you have many advices which can resolve my concerns I'll be thankful. I accept links, tutorials, insults... :\ .I like freeBSD architecture and I would like to make it my first OS on my laptop to work on it seriously but this temperature problem is really an impediment.

Thank you and have a nice day !

The power management code for the radeon driver is in the kernel DRM. This code is rather new on linux, and probably non-existent on FreeBSD.

EDIT:

Actually, there is older PM code that doesn't depend on an updated DRM. Check the radeon man page for the ClockGating, ForceLowPowerMode, and DynamicPM options.

Adm

Thanks for your answer. I change these three booleans into "yes", and thanks to that I dropped the temperature. The common temperature is 65 °C. It's more than on linux but it's moderate.

Thank you for your advices.

Hi -

I'm a beginner on freeBSD but not on linux, I come from Archlinux. I'm giving freeBSD a shot. Everything is all right except the GPU's temperature which is around 86 °C just with xserver and mplayer. It seems very high while in linux the common temperature is 56 °C, but with the ATI proprietary catalyst driver. But even with free radeon driver, the temperature didn't increase more than 68 °C. I've already installed acpi port. I need to relearn name ports and similar packages with those of Linux that I know

Currently I'm using radeon driver, but if you have many advices which can resolve my concerns I'll be thankful. I accept links, tutorials, insults... :\ .I like freeBSD architecture and I would like to make it my first OS on my laptop to work on it seriously but this temperature problem is really an impediment.

Thank you and have a nice day !

How are you checking ATI card temperatures under FreeBSD? A Google search led me here.

Back