High res. console in 7.1 AMD64?

I just installed the AMD64 version and I can see that "option VESA" is not supported. What do I need to do in order to enable a high res. console? My video card is an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro.

Thanks!

J.

It's like DOS only not really at all

When I bought my new laptop I looked at this very question. The only answers seemed to be:
  • Use i386
  • "Use" lunix
  • this line left blank to violate rfc1855
  • Stop worrying
and so I stopped worrying and pretended to enjoy 80x25.

fronclynne said:
When I bought my new laptop I looked at this very question. The only answers seemed to be:
  • Use i386
  • "Use" lunix
  • this line left blank to violate rfc1855
  • Stop worrying
and so I stopped worrying and pretended to enjoy 80x25.

you forgot e
e) use Xorg and virtual console

I use d+e

I can't believe what I'm reading. The x64 version of FreeBSD doesn't support a nice console? How can that be?

Well, if the highres modes are some sort of VESA hack, that sounds like it'll be nontrivial to port to amd64.

vidcontrol (used for high-resolution text console) uses VESA BIOS calls to manipulate the screen. There are no 64-bit VESA BIOS calls, hence there's no high-res text console for 64-bit FreeBSD.

Are you saying that there will never be support for high res. consoles in the x64 versions of FreeBSD?

Questions about official FreeBSD projects and possible new features are better put to the official mailing lists, like freebsd-current. These forums are a community support effort, where users help one another out. There are some FreeBSD developers on here, but you'll get everybody's attention at freebsd-current.

Back