Other Help with NTFS Thumb drive

Hello,
This is my first post. I've been attempting to make FreeBSD 10.2 into a useful desktop. I've finally been defeated and am resorting to the forums for help. I need to be able to mount an NTFS usb thumb drive so I have read and write access. I've searched the net for a week now and I cant get it to work. It always gives some kind of error. For what its worth I'm using KDE for a desktop. I need NTFS because I have files larger than 4 GB to move around between Windows, Debian and FreeBSD. I would prefer it to auto mount but at this point I would be happy if I could access it period. Please help me.

Bullittman

Last edited by a moderator:
Please provide more information. What commands have you tried? What error message did you receive? What do you see in /var/log/messages when you insert the drive in the port?

IIRC, you won't be able to mount the drive writable without fuse and fuse support has been sketchy.

Hello,
I've installed sysutils/fusefs-ntfs. I have fusefs_enable="YES" in /boot/loader.conf. I moved it to /boot/loader.conf from /etc/rc.conf. I've done that since I first posted. Now that I've done that I can get it to mount with sudo ntfs-3g /dev/da0 /mnt/. I cant figure out how to unmount it though. I also have hald enabled in rc.conf. When I try to mount it in KDE I get:
Code:
An error occurred while accessing '3.7 GiB Removable Media', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount: illegal option -- u usage: mount [-t fstype] [-o options] target_fs mount_point

in /va/log/messages there is an enormous log. What am I looking for?

Bullittman

Update:
in /var/log/messages I found:
Code:
Feb 22 20:07:48 devd: Executing '/usr/local/sbin/automount da0 attach'
Feb 22 20:07:51 ntfs-3g[1644]: Version 2015.3.14 external FUSE 29
Feb 22 20:07:51 ntfs-3g[1644]: Mounted /dev/da0 (Read-Write, label "", NTFS 3.1)
Feb 22 20:07:51 ntfs-3g[1644]: Cmdline options: recover,remove_hiberfile
Feb 22 20:07:51 ntfs-3g[1644]: Mount options: allow_other,nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/da0
Feb 22 20:07:51 ntfs-3g[1644]: Ownership and permissions disabled, configuration type 1
This messages was generated in response to trying to mount the thumb drive in KDE.

Last edited by a moderator:
For unmounting, a common source of error is a shell session with the current working directory the same as the mounted directory. So, make sure you aren't in /mnt in any session and try # umount /mnt.

Getting out of the mounted directory fixed unmounting. Now I can unmount. THANKS!!
with fusefs launched from /boot/loader, sudo ntfs-3g /dev/da0 /mnt/ gives me read and write access. Any hope of having it auto mount?

Bullittman

Back