Solved Help with installing FreeBSD 14 (or less) in Dual Boot Environment on older Intel MacBook Pro(s) 6,1 -- 4,1 MBP is working.

Hello,
Please forgive me if the information was clear cut in the manual, pages, or forums elsewhere. I feel I have exhausted my best at problem solving this issue.

BLUF: I feel compelled to learn and use *nix, namely FreeBSD. I am trying to install FBSD on a separate partition for a dual boot environment on a 2010 17" MBP, 6,1. I *believe* I have successfully installed the OS, however, I must be missing the mark in terms of boot loader, perhaps?

When depressing the option key at boot on the MBP, the target partition with FreeBSD is not listed as an option. I have installed rEFInd , and it provided me no joy, unless I missed something.

I have read somewhere, something about the "bless" command, but I'm not sure how to utilize it.

When booting of the installation USB, and dropping into a shell environment, I can clearly see the partition (ada3 in this case, I believe).

On an even older MacBook Pro (Early 2008 4,1 - C2Duo), I was able to install and boot using FBSD 12.4 and writing it over a preexisting MS Windows BootCamp partition. v14 Would never get past the "optional splash screen".

I don't know if there is a way to manually edit the MacBook Pro Start Up / Boot Up manager to make it see the existing partition with an installation by writing a line in script or file, or if I'm missing the mark.

I genuinely want to learn, and I feel like I have a lot of the bits and pieces from a gaggle of sources, I'm just having a hard time tying it all together to cross the finish line.... Which I'm sure is prone to more obstacles. At times, when reading the articles, the manual, and the resources (I have even purchased a few FreeBSD books) I just need a little help interpreting some of the information.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to The FreeBSD Forums.

Please, what was the solution?

Also, sorry that I couldn't be more help in Reddit (when I encouraged you to post elsewhere).
Graham,
Essentially, the solution was right in front of me the whole time, it just wasn't self evident (to me). I followed the instructions , verbatim, and created 3 partitions manually with the installer, and labeled them verbatim , size and all, per the instructions on pages 49-51 of the FreeBSD Handbook . As soon as I tried doing that, and not editing any preexisting boot partition, the MacBook Pro's identified the partitions and boot into the operating system with out a hitch! Please see the attached for reference.
BLUF: A. Created 3 partitions per the FreeBSD Handbook
B. Labeled them and sized them per the tips, instructions, and screenshots.
C. Did so verbatim. It turns out the spelling / naming of the partition(s) / partition(s) type is instrumental. Devil is in the details.

Attachments

• MacBook Pro Dual Boot Solution.pdf
    639.3 KB · Views: 9
Back