Help troublshooting current

Hey All,

On all of the 7.0 series of FreeBSD I had trouble with my USB mouse and keyboard. Last time I tested it 200905 x64 snapshot everything seemed ok. But I just tried 200906 x64 snapshot tonight and now when the the install menu starts up asking you to select your country my keyboard is all messed up.

I hit the down/up arrow and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the key action is reversed, for example the down key will jump up 3 lines in the countries list instead of down 1 postion. TAB on the other hand seems ok and moves focus through the buttons at the bottom

I'd like to make a post to current mailing list with relevant info about the problem so hopefully it gets fixed before 8.0 is released if it hasn't already.

Does anyone have some pointers?

I am redownloading the snapshot from 200905 so I can get the working dmesg output and provide that along with a a broken one from 200906. I am also downloading a snapshot from
http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snaps...cdrom/8.0-HEAD-20090623-JPSNAP-amd64-dvd1.iso
to see if it is already fixed later in the month.

Regards Petz

Petz said:
Hey All,

On all of the 7.0 series of FreeBSD I had trouble with my USB mouse and keyboard. Last time I tested it 200905 x64 snapshot everything seemed ok. But I just tried 200906 x64 snapshot tonight and now when the the install menu starts up asking you to select your country my keyboard is all messed up.

***CORRECTED OPENING PARAGRAPH BELOW

On all of the 7.0 series of FreeBSD I had trouble with my USB mouse and keyboard. I had hoped 8.0 would fix all that with the new USB stack. I tested current 200905 x64 snapshot and everything seemed fine. But I just tried 200906 x64 snapshot tonight and now when the the install menu starts up asking you to select your country my keyboard is all messed up.

I don't think keyboard navigation in the sysinstall menu counts as an Xorg error ..

Here is a working dmesg.boot from the 200905 snapshot and a not working from the 200906 snapshot. The dmesg.boot from the 200906 snapshot seems to be alot more verbose. I guess someone turned on extra debugging in that build?

Anyway I found out the trick in the install menu. For me UP is actually the '-' keys(minus key) and down is the '+' key(plus key). No idea why but hey that what it was. After I got through the installer though and booted off the disk '+' was '+' and '-' was '-' but the following keys where doing incorrect characters. This is not a comprehensive list just what I noticed. Its as if the numpad numeric keys have moved to the direction keys + the six keys above(insert, del, home, end, )

Key Press Resulting Character(output) on console
LEFT 4
DONW 2
RIGHT 6
UP 8
PAGE UP 9
PAGE DOWN 3
END 1
HOME 7
INSERT 0

Also I don't know if something is wrong with the ISO I downloaded for 200906 as you can see on the fifth line of the dmesg it thinks its a 200905 snapshot 'FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT-200905 #0: Mon May 4 21:11:26 UTC 2009
' which I'm certain its not(according to SHA-256 checksum).

Lastly, I had no luck with the 8.0-HEAD-20090623-JPSNAP-amd64-dvd1.iso. It seems to get stuck reading acd0 (the cd drive?). Could be bad media(I'll try again later). But I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that Nero FORCED me to burn it to a CD instead of DVD. I might have to try a different burning app.

http://users.tpg.com.au/jpetz/DMESG.200905
http://users.tpg.com.au/jpetz/DMESG.200906

Petz said:
Also I don't know if something is wrong with the ISO I downloaded for 200906 as you can see on the fifth line of the dmesg it thinks its a 200905 snapshot 'FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT-200905 #0: Mon May 4 21:11:26 UTC 2009
' which I'm certain its not(according to SHA-256 checksum).

False alarm. Maybe I copied the dmesg from /var/log instead of /var/run as the 200906 log seems to have a number of reboot which explains why its much longer. I thought when I installed 200906 it would have whiped the disk (delete partitions and remake them) but somehow the dmesg output for 200905 is in with when I booted 200906.

Anyway, is that enough info to post on the current mailing list or do I need to dig deaper?

Back