Help support the BSDs by buying stuff!

Why would a Latvian launch a US-only card? Or why would an American (Canadian-sounding, actually) launch the entire operation in Latvia? ;)

Thanks for sharing -- it's a cool logo and a clever approach. :)

On the other hand, I do not think credit cards are a good idea at all. (Any cognizant American will presumably understand that by now.) It would be better if the offering was available as a check card as well.

An alternative to making a bank wealthy and going into consumer debt - temporary or not - is of course to just donate: FreeBSD Foundation Donations.

Credit cards are fine, as long as you pay the bills immediately ;) In other words: only use them for convenience, never for actual credit.

People are stupid ;) This should simply not happen if your head's screwed on right:

[...] the more you spend using your credit cards the higher the probability you will borrow money from the credit card company at steep interest rates, get hit with fees for exceeding your credit limit, and incur larger penalties for late payments.

Probabilities can be prevented..

I'm against credit as well, have never owned any credit cards myself, and work entirely with debit/cheque cards. Thing is this makes it really easy to support the BSDs and instead of getting annoying points or some other pointless promotion from my bank for using my card, I'd rather the breadcrumbs from my card purchase profit margins went to something good like BSD.

And what BSD geek wouldn't want that card in their wallets? :)

Credit is good, if you understand what it is and use it appropriately. Credit cards are a form of credit, but most of the "interest" isn't true interest, but fees for the revolving charge account. I use credit cards all the time, but pay them off monthly. It's been several years since I've seen an interest charge.

Some people are so depends upon CC they can't even buy eggs, milk and bread without it at market. And guess what sometime that is too declined, what a shame.

Personally, I pay all my bills using check and debit card is used only when required. For all other small things cash is good to go. For daily traveling I've metro rail pass which gives me unlimited traveling option :e

Note that this effort is not very FreeBSD-oriented. They are probably going to prefer to fund NetBSD/OpenBSD projects. Also they seem to be donating to ppc development and if we are ever going to change compiler, it will be more likely be clang/llvm.

However I like the general idea and also like the look/desgin of that card :)

Back