Solved Help starting out maintaining a port.

Good day,
I have recently read the porters handbook, and volunteered to maintain a port.

I have some question regarding maintaining it.
Am I able to push commits directly to the ports tree for this port?
Can I do this via github?
Can I do it via the web, or cli only?
Is the bug tracker the appropriate way to push a commit?

I'm trying to follow the handbook here to update the port, but am stuck with this.

% git fetch origin main
% git rebase origin/main

It doesn't let me rebase as I haven't staged the changes, but it doesn't tell me that I have to.

Since this is my first port, I'd appreciate some help.

You can contribute code to ports, src or doc in three different ways.
  1. You can fork the src, ports or doc to submit a pull request. OR,
  2. Commit to your own tree. Run git format-patch to extract your commit from your tree. You can submit that in two ways:
    1. Upload to phabricator for a review. When your patch is accepted a committer will run git am into their tree and push it for you, OR
    2. Upload to bugzilla. Reviews are a little more cumbersome with bugzilla but another good way to get your code into one of the trees.
When you submit one too many patches some committer will notice and suggest to core or portmgr that you be granted a commit bit, and after a mentoring period you will become a committer. This is how it happened to me. I received an email asking me to become a committer. It was after I had submitted a good number of patches via gnats (the predecessor to bugzilla) that I received that invitation email.

My motivation was that once I got all my patches into the tree they'd come out in the next release in the next ISO, and life would be good. It didn't work out that way. That was 2001. I'm working harder at FreeBSD than I did before then. It's been a fun ride.

Choose between a github pull request, phabricator or buzilla and submit patches. People will notice.

If you maintain a port it's also best if you can work with upstream to get changes merged there. In an ideal world ports wouldn't need patches to build on FreeBSD. Upstream isn't always receptive though.

Just stop, it's not supported and notifications doesn't necessarily reach the "right" or any people so you will once again be asked to submit using Bugzilla if someone by chance see's it and makes an effort.
Just for the record, I do have a commit bit.

Just stop, it's not supported and notifications doesn't necessarily reach the "right" or any people so you will once again be asked to submit using Bugzilla if someone by chance see's it and makes an effort.

That's why I said "also" ;)

True. It's only when a person submitting the review adds reviewers or subscribers that they are notified by email. Reviewers and subscribers can be predefined groups or teams in phabricator.

I'm a member (voluntarily joined) of a number of phabricator groups (or teams). I will received emails from any review that includes any of the groups I am subscribed to. It's up to the individual submitting the review to add the appropriate people or groups as reviewers. This of course assumes people know what groups or people should be added.

Bugzilla automatically assigns the bug to the port maintainer. In that sense it's simpler to use. But bugzilla is awkward for reviews. Phabricator reviews behave just like github pull request reviews. One can make a comment regarding a single line in a phabricator review or github review, and the comment shows just below the line being discussed. In that regard phabricator and github are intuitive tools.

Bugzilla is akin to a github issue. Maintaining context within a discussion is not implied.

Just because you're a member or a registred user doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a mail (Profile --> Email --> Email delivery).
What's the best tool is another question but that's out of scope in regards to where you should submit patches for the ports tree.

Im mainly just interested in having a way to push changes. Bugzilla seems to be the quickest and easiest right now.
What I learned from this thread is: do both.

EDIT: Also cracauer@ the link is not working, at least for me:
1724372347167.png

Back