Help needed: Touchpad: ignore closed lid signal

Hi everyone. I am a noobie to FreeBSD with some years of Linux under my belt. I have this old classmate laptop that I really want to daily drive freeBSD in. Unfortunately, it is already aging, and it has some damage. The hardware seems to be all compatible with FreeBSD, but, as I suspected when I used to run Linux on it, my Lid Sensor is stuck. It is in fact, stuck at the closed position. Fortunately, it seems to have two of them, so at first having the lid open causes no issue in most OSes. FreeBSD, as I've understood from the documentation, seems to disable the touchpad whenever the lid is closed, and unfortunately for me, psm and Moused don't receive input from the touchpad, despite it being fully detected, because one of the lid sensors is closed. Can anyone point me to some resource on how to disable the lid sensor? I've tried setting the ACPI lid sensor to NONE, but that of course is for the display and it didn't work.

TLDR: Anyone know how to disable the disabling of the touchpad on lid sensor malfunction?

Thanks in advance.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a sysctl knob that can be changed to disregard the lid switch. I don't remember exactly what it is it off the top of my head, but I will post it here when I find it again.

hw.acpi.lid_switch_state

But it looks like you just feed in the sleep state you want when closing the lid.

• Thanks
Reactions: bjs
What documentation is that?
Read that in the old wiki, if I'm not mistaken, the one from the times of FreeBSD 7. It was a long shot, but that's really the only thing I can think of, as there isn't any other mentions of functionality different from Linux. The touchpad is a really simple Synaptics PS2 touchpad, and it is detected, it even exists in /dev/, the moused cursor even shows up on screen, but doesn't move. I assume that's because of that lid thing. I'll try the above suggested.

hw.acpi.lid_switch_state

But it looks like you just feed in the sleep state you want when closing the lid.
I tried setting that to None. I'll read up on the docs the remaining states. Thanks for the suggestion :)

As for the screwdriver route, I'm afraid that would be a tad bit too difficult. This was made by my country's department of education, i doubt it is easy to disassemble. I'll try everything else until it comes to that though. Thanks.

hw.acpi.lid_switch_state

Update: it still does not work, and it might be because this is actually not the lid switch, but a configuration issue.

New question: on a system with a single PS2 touchpad, is it supposed to have two different PS2 mouses? (xinput returns:
"SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad"
"Generic PS/2 mouse"
)

I mean, they are both pointing to the Virtual core pointer, but maybe it's just because it is broken (it still works fine on Linux, i mean software-broken) that it shows two mouses and therefore it doesn't work?

Back