Help me please install

Hi. When download installer(disk)throws error When I try to run the downloaded installer it throws the following error:

I have i386, FreeBSD 9.2. No USB. Why do I get this error? If you install FreeBSD with USB then there will be no error? Why installing from the disk I have this error?

I had a similar problem with the old computer where I installed FreeBSD on, but I’m not sure the error was the same. In any case, to proceed with the installation I did the following:
  • Eject CD.
  • Falls back to <mountroot>.
  • Insert CD.
  • Type: cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro.
Maybe it will also work for you.

Juanitou said:
I had a similar problem with the old computer where I installed FreeBSD on, but I’m not sure the error was the same. In any case, to proceed with the installation I did the following:
  • Eject CD.
  • Falls back to <mountroot>.
  • Insert CD.
  • Type: cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro.
Maybe it will also work for you…

I have installed it. But after installation, the other error came up and I can't work in the system. The problem I have is with my CD-ROM. Is it not supported? I read that FreeBSD makes it very stable. And I get this error. And another question: I want to have Linux and Freebsd FreeBSD on the same computer. What do you first need to install? I have LILO, but it does not see the FreeBSD.

Sorry, I don’t understand, I thought the error appeared while you were trying to install from the CD but now you said FreeBSD is already installed… I’m not competent to help you further. Concerning multi-boot, there are a lot of threads about it in the forums, I’ve never tried it myself.

Good luck!

I'm really confused now. You initial post stated that you got the attached screen messages "when you tried to run the downloaded installer". I assumed you meant the FreeBSD installer. Is that a correct assumption? Now you say you successfully installed FreeBSD? And you have or want to have Linux installed on the system? And you want to boot FreeBSD from LILO? No one will be able to help you if the problem keeps changing.

1. Did you successfully install FreeBSD on the system? If yes, did you use the SCSI CD device to install it? How did you partition the disk? Can you boot FreeBSD?
  2. Do you have any other installations (i.e., Linux) installed on this system? If yes, did you use the SCSI CD device to install it? How did you partition the disk? Can you boot it? Is that how LILO got installed on your system? Did you install Linux first, then FreeBSD?
  3. At what point in the system power-up or OS boot process do you see the SCSI CD device errors? Before the LILO loader?

@Juanitou, this error prevents install the system. But after installation, get another error. I think that due to errors on the disk.

@trh411, this error prevents installing the system. But after installation, I get another error (I think that's due to an error during installation). Disk I broke the root partition, and a swap partition, MBR. Now I have installed Slackware LILO after the installation of FreeBSD but it does not see it. Yes, I installed Slackware then FreeBSD. An error that the picture I saw when installed FreeBSD. While checking hardware, it appears.

I'm sorry if something is not clear, ask again then.

Last edited by a moderator:
user437 said:
Juanitou, This error prevents install the system. But after installation, get another error. I think that due to errors on the disk.

trh411 , This error prevents install the system. But after installation, get another error (I think that's due to an error during installation). Disk I broke the root partition, and a swap partition, MBR. Now I have installed Slackware LILO after the installation of FreeBSD does not see it. Yes, I installed Slackware then FreeBSD. An error that the picture I saw when installed FreeBSD. While checking hardware, it appears.
I'm sorry if something is not clear, ask again then.
Here is how I'm interpreting your post to me. I've added the words in bold to better my understanding of things that are not yet clear.

"This SCSI device error prevents install the system (FreeBSD). But after the FAILED installation of FreeBSD, get another error I think that's due to an error during the FAILED installation of FreeBSD). Disk I broke the root partition, and a swap partition, MBR. Now I have installed Slackware LILO after the the FAILED installation of FreeBSD, LILO does not see it (Slackware). Yes, I installed Slackware then FreeBSD. An error that the picture I saw when I ATTEMPTED to installed FreeBSD but was unsuccessful. While checking hardware, it appears.

Is this interpretation correct?

You mean LILO does not see FreeBSD? How could it if the error in your original post prevented the installation of FreeBSD?

Maybe this will help you https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=281. There may also be other posts as well. I'd suggest you try searching the forums or Google for information on dual booting FreeBSD with LILO. There should be lots of information out there. I have never set up FreeBSD to dual boot, so I cannot be of any further help on this issue. Good luck.

А почему у меня ошибка такая? (на картинки)
Мне тогда надо с USB устанавливать?

[ Don't post in any other language than English. It's in the forum rules! -- Mod. ]

user437 said:
А почему у меня ошибка такая? (на картинки)
Мне тогда надо с USB устанавливать?
Translate:
Code:
And why do I have this error? (in pictures)
I then need to install the USB?
I'm sorry. I do not know what that error means or how to get around it. Maybe someone else? You might try disconnecting or disabling your SCSI CD device to see it that helps.

Is this laptop or desktop machine? If it's a laptop, you will have to go into the BIOS and see if there is a way to disable the CD device. If it's a desktop, you can open up the case and just disconnect the power cable to the CD device.

This is a forum, not an IRC channel or a chatbox. Post less, include more information per post.

Back