Help me build a new UNIX Operating System

ananm1 said:
Well, it turns out something like PC-BSD can run natively on the Surface Pro. If that is the case there might not be the need for a new version. And part of this project is to learn all that goes into a UNIX OS. It's more a learning experience than a profit/business experience.

Your best bet is to find the smallest open-source or source-available unix OS you can (maybe Minix is free enough now?) and study the code to see what it does before trying to go off and write your own OS from scratch.

Writing an OS from scratch, rather than porting something that already exists (and has had decades of testing already, like Linux, FreeBSD or similar) is going to be a lot of wasted effort, so unless there's a very good reason you can't port something that already exists, or you are intending for it to be a research OS with no users, I'd avoid trying to do that.

This poor guy had a dream and a vision to be innovative and you all crushed it with your closed minded and narrow thinking! Jealousy is a curse! If someone wants to "reinvent the wheel" (no such thing when you're creating YOUR OWN VERSION of an operating system). Did Steve Jobs "reinvent the wheel" when he developed HIS OWN VERSION of a machine? Jerks like the lot of you is why we're so behind in technology today! Depending on just a couple of companies to tell YOU what you like and don't like, coz god forbid, you think for yourself!

Did Steve Jobs "reinvent the wheel" when he developed HIS OWN VERSION of a machine?
For the record Steave Jobs didn't invent anything. I suspect without Steve Wozniak he would have hard time turning on the light in his apartment. I am not denying his business skills and the fact that he was an unscrupulous man.

Jerks like the lot of you is why we're so behind in technology today!

While I admire the "dream big" spirit, the fact is the time you spent writing a little rant in English could have been spent writing a little bit of a kernel in C. You obviously thought the rant was a better use of your time and energy. It shouldn't be hard for you to see why others would not want to contribute their time and energy to a stranger's new Unix-like kernel when they're already using one that works just fine---just like you are.

This poor guy had a dream and a vision to be innovative and you all crushed it with your closed minded and narrow thinking! Jealousy is a curse! If someone wants to "reinvent the wheel" (no such thing when you're creating YOUR OWN VERSION of an operating system). Did Steve Jobs "reinvent the wheel" when he developed HIS OWN VERSION of a machine? Jerks like the lot of you is why we're so behind in technology today! Depending on just a couple of companies to tell YOU what you like and don't like, coz god forbid, you think for yourself!

With that kind of comments, you're not going to find anyone here who will be willing to get involved with your project. If you built a small OS with your clear goals, reasons, plannings, hardware requirements and targeted audience, and others might join to contribute something. Trying to recruit someone on a vaporware project based on few ideas isn't going to fly. You might start the project at github.

There is no guarantee that Microsoft will continue to use Intel processors in their tablets. One day they could switch to ARM processor and you'll have to rewrite everything. New tablets are released every year and that's going to be hard to keep up with new changes. You need to be realistic and focus on something that is viable in long term otherwise it'll be waste of time on developing something that will only last a year or so before its worthless. I'm not trying to burst your bubble and many folks will not want to spend their time and efforts on something that will be outdated very quickly and tablets or smartphones have very short life.

This poor guy had a dream and a vision to be innovative and you all crushed it with your closed minded and narrow thinking!
Seems the OP disagrees with you, considering his shown thanks for most of the made suggestions.

Also noteworthy: thread is 3 years old, so its doubtful that the above participants will be reading your reaction here.

Yes I'm skeptical... I think it will require a bit of hacking and tweaking.

You have several excellent BSDs you could work from: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and DragonflyBSD. Why not try the hardware on those and then see if you need to tweak and modify.

Back