Help installing Xerox Phaser 3020 laser printer on FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE

Greetings !

I am a newbie FreeBSD user, after 24 years of Slackware Linux (which resembles somehow of FreeBSD).

I have installed on my PC machine (amd64) FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE.

In Linux (Slackware Linux 15.0 - current, CUPS 2.4.2) I succeeded to install Xerox Phaser drivers from
www.support.xerox.com, and printed a test page. The drivers are of ULD type.

As far as I understand, ULD is not compatible with FreeBSD, so I installed also i386 Linux rastertospl
binary from Xerox drivers, in the directory /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter, and also installed /lib/ld-linux.so.2,
from /usr/ports/ and enabled Linux in /etc/rc.conf.

When I try to print a test page from CUPS 2.4.2 in FreeBSD, I get the error : "Filter failed".

Can you help me, if you have the know-how, or you have a Xerox Phaser 3020, to get the printer
working in FreeBSD ?

Thank you very much !
Alexander,
UNIX enthusiast & hobbyist.

Xerox provide a "print driver" for Linux, which reputedly works well.
I suggest you download the tarball and extract Xerox_Phaser_3020.ppd.
I think that /usr/share/ppd/cupsfilters/Xerox_Phaser_3020.ppd is a good place to drop it.
Then configure the printer in CUPS using that specific ppd.
I expect that you can use either the USB2 connection of WiFi (with IPP).
As indicated by Martin Paredes above, a generic PostScript ppd file should also work, but I'd try the Xerox one first.

EDIT: I retract all of the above. See diizzy below.

I don't know what a a host based GDI printer is, but my Brother AIO is also unsupported. Luckily I was able to install the the official Brother Linux Cups driver in a Linux chroot with this script.

amw@t430 ~/bin> cat cups-linuxulator.sh
#!/bin/sh
doas chroot /compat/ubuntu /etc/init.d/cups start
amw@t430 ~/bin>

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you fixed it. You'd be surprised how many people don't bother. Or worse, come back and say, never mind fixed it, with no indication of how they fixed it. :)

Back