• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hello, Greetings & Self-Introduction Thread

Swissnic

Hi there,

I am very new to FreeBSD! I installed it for the first time this week. As a 20+ year veteran of all things Microsoft, I have been doubtful (at best) and critical (at worst) of all things not Microsoft. But having moved into a Security role in my company, my viewpoint has become more and more reversed. (I think everyone will know my reasoning here!!! ;o)

Installing FreeBSD on my Dell T5600 Workstation (with quad-SSD's, 16 cores of Xeon, and 128Gb of RAM) - it worked quite well! ;o))) There were no issues with devices, and installing additional software via PKG was amazingly simple. Much better than any Linux experience I have had!!!

I recently watched an interview on youtube between a SUSE Linux celebrity and a FreeBSD kernel Dev (sorry - didnt catch the name!) which was inspiring. He used I3 as his windows manager - so I installed the same! What a fantastic lightweight and simple way of working a PC! I am in love!

As I have a VMWare Workstation license - I was sooo pleased to find that VMWare supported freebsd also - so I now have a fast secure platform on which I can run multiple VM's of any OS I like...

Again - im in love! So, the next targets are my HP 8560W i7 laptop, and my Thinkpad Tablet! ;o)))

Anyway, as I expect to be a real PITA to you guys asking all sorts of newbie questions on these forums for years to come - I thought I'd say hello, and share a bit about myself and the surprise at how much I like FreeBSD after 1 day!!!

Thankyou to all the devs working on this platform, I really do appreciate your time and your talent!

Cheers, Nic

Zurich, Switzerland

atamir

Hello,

Long time Linux home user here. Debian stable installed on my main computer and from time to time I like to try new distros on other computers.

I have been curious about BSD in general for a long time and last weekend I have fillally installed FreeBSD on an ancient laptop. So far so good.

I came here mainly because I like to know how the things work and I plan to spend some time learning about FreeBSD.

connchri

Hello! I suppose I'll introduce myself...

I'm Chris, a long time techie, Electrical Engineer to trade, currently awaiting to retrain to be a Physics Teacher after too many power stations having shut! (Edinburgh Uni this August for a year! Back to being a student... <sarcasm>Woohoo...</sarcasm>), working freelance as "The I.T. Guy" for a new startup, relatively new dad to a wee boy that just turned two, early thirties and engaged to an English women (No one's perfect :p). I'd love to say I was an epic programmer in C++, PHP, and C#, but I would be lying - it would be more truthful if I had the time to pursue it, but I'm getting there. Anyway, started off with a C64 about 28 years ago (Yip, started young!), First Windows PC in 1999, and my first go at GNU/Linux with Mandrake, RH2, and Coral Linux many many moons ago. I have only recently taken to it seriously and then stumbled upon FreeBSD. And it appears that FreeBSD solves all the complaints I have with GNU/Linux - Hurrah! - mainly consistency, conservative development, and good documentation.

Main goal of being here? Well, I'll never not stop being into I.T. and I'll likely be using FreeBSD in some form or another until I kick the bucket - so it's about time I learn it properly.

lme@

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

Hi everybody,

I'm Marcel, and I'm maintainer and developer of several FreeBSD ports. Nice to meet you.
Welcome and thanks for your useful dsb* tools!

al mello

New old kid on the block

After been dealing with main frames and PCs for about 30 years, job changes forced me out of the field. To keep my skills up, decided to build my home lab and re-start my researches and update my skills.

Needless to say that everything I saw that was worthy a try is build on FreeBSD: pfSense, FreeNAS, True-OS, etc. So after getting phase I completed with my esx(i), pf, and FreeNAS, decided that was time to get my hands on FreeBSD.

For my surprise getting the first server up and running only took couple hours. Course was a simple NAS. To code and debug all the scripts I'd like to run in order to ensure the data was safe, hardware monitored, back-ups, etc took a couple more days, but I had time as copy 12TiB from the old server to the new took more than that ...

Just want to thank all for the dedication to the project and ensure that, in couple years when I learn more, I'll try to help ;)

Now is work on the 2nd server for testing, learn jail implementation (the right way, not ez/q/jail).

Best regards!

SPPH

Hey there!

I've been using FreeBSD for a few years now and just thought I'd finally get around to join the community as a whole!

I look forward to posting questions and helping to answer any that I can. My knowledge is primarily in network, kernel and driver development.

At the moment I am currently working in a high-traffic environment utilizing the DPDK project (using the port to allow me to develop alongside my team). If there is any topic questions, that I have missed myself, which you think I can provide help towards resolution then please feel free to PM me with a link and I'll try help out, I'll of course give credit whom credit is due in pointing it out to me.

SPPH

joeyboy

Hello world.

Hi, I've just installed FreeBSD on my raspberry pi B+ after a frustrating experience with NetBSD. So far FreeBSD has been running fantastically and is much simpler and a lot faster than NetBSD. Software is a breeze to install (and FAST!). In minutes of installing I have my Pi tracking planes with a SDR and 1090dump and running an openVPN. There are even fewer processes running (required?) than NetBSD (which I understand to be a very bare bones BSD disro).

The main reason I'm trying FreeBSD is due to the systemd infection in Linux. If all goes well on the Pi I will defiantly look at moving my main workstation from Ubuntu to FreeBSD - Honestly my experience with FreeBSD has been fantastic. It's intuitive, simple, faster beyond my belief, has a fantastic philosophy, documentation and what looks to be like a great user base / community.

Thank you FreeBSD devs and everyone else who is involved in packaging, testing and distributing etc for doing such a fantastic job.

- joeyboy.

thegogg

Hello everyone.

New kid on the block, my first time ever using freebsd. Currently running it in virtualbox on windows, glad to be apart of the community.

Liutauras Vilda

Hello folks!

Want to say hi to all.

I'm a moderator and JForum developer at CodeRanch (former JavaRanch) community for few years now.
I would also like to contribute to this community in order to learn and give something back to the community.

I like BSD family OS. I even have Beastie daemon tattoo on my hand for about 15 years :) Fun.

Hope to see you in other threads/topics.

RypPn

Hello All,

I just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Been lurking on the freebsd irc channel on #freenode since the turn of the year, enjoying FreeBSD immensely.

I've not really needed to post much so far as everything has been relatively straightforward thankfully, no doubt that'll change if I manage to break something.

A

agpe

Hi there,

Like RypPn, I've using FreeBSD for two months, being a Linux user in the past.
I've studied the handbook and used the forums to solve questions, and I must admit that it has been a great experience.

I would try to help in the forums as much as I can.

Deicide4u

Hello everyone!

Pleased to be here finally. I have been a Debian user for two years, and I recently became interested in *BSDs. I've read the first parts of an handbook, and must say it's one of the best, most practical guides ever. I hope to put that knowledge to good use soon.

bsmith

I've been around a while but never got around to introducing myself. I'm disabled and unable to work so I have lots of free time to mess with different operating systems. I am a long time Linux user with Debian being my favorite distro. But I had an old computer and I asked for suggestions as to what to try on it and someone mentioned FreeBSD. I was hooked. When that computer quit working I bought another from the FreeBSD approved list. FreeBSD is very challenging but I like challenges plus it keeps me busy. I can't express how much I appreciate the help I've gotten here from the friendly members. I hope to be around a long time or until I drive people crazy with my questions! Thanks

Prez Cannady

Hello. Fairly new BSD user in general. Looking to use it more frequently for work and fun. Mainly experimenting in Virtualbox, though I have an iron installation on a ThinkPad I hope to use regularly going forward.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Best answers: 7

Welcome. Don't forget the most important part, having fun doing it ;)

Sevendogsbsd

I'm back, lol. Had a bit of a Linux hiatus when I got new hardware and wasn't patient enough to work out the issues...issues worked out and all is well. Had forgotten how much I like this OS.

Sevendogsbsd

Welcome from Texas! I'm having a good time when I'm not breaking things o_O

liquidLD

Hello. I'm Ed.Not a native english speaker.
Freebsd first timer, linux user since 2007. Read about Bsd on the internet some time ago,and since I'm an explorer, I said, let's see what's all about. At first,a bit harder to get along to,no xorg in the default install,no acceleration for intel, even after that.

BUT searching around,reading,and with a smartphone with internet acces close by, I'm proud to say I have a sweet XFCE set up,intel hd working properly, compton glx compositing and most of basic things figured it out (except for some second life viewer,but I'll get to that later >D) .
I love it . Thanks to all involved in creating and developing Freebsd ! I have a hunch it's here to stay !