• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hello, Greetings & Self-Introduction Thread

SpoofMeister

Hello:
I am an IT person testing FreeBSD in a VM on Ubuntu. So far, so good! I may replace Ubuntu with FreeBSD if I can be sure to get a video streamer working in an Ubuntu VM (Netflix, Hulu, others).

As a likely future contributer and technical helper to FreeBSD forums I make the following promises:
1. I will not assume someone did not read and follow the documentation; for example, I will politely ask if they followed a specific section, if it isn't clear if they did.
2. I will not assume the documentation is perfect. Documentation is not right for many special cases, and also an be invalidated with changing technology, but we can strive to make it better.

So far, I see the OS as very solid but there are quirks to installation. For my background, it is no problem. Extremely good OS so far.

Zohaib Online

I am new to FreeBSD and used to linux debian since 2014 as an average person. as dont like windows thats why changed my OS.

Sevendogs

Welcome to the forums! Lots of people here willing to help if you have any issues.

Marc Draco

Please, someone, deliver me from Linus!

Yeah - LinuS (and, Linux too). I'm tired of all the back-biting and self-importance that continually grows around Linus and his hero worship. Seems that most people forgot about GNU, BSD, the myriad of other developers that have contributed and even where all this comes from... *nix clones.

Anyhoo - enough of that. I'm hoping to move everything to FreeBSD eventually and I know that's going to be a slow process because I'm on the desktop. My primary problem is that my applications (video and 3D) require high-end video cards - so you can probably guess where this is going. I'm probably going to need a lot of hand holding because much as I'd like to think I'm smart, my brain isn't getting any younger (hence why I've gone back to my filmmaking roots and left IT for younger men/women).

nVidia Pascal architecture is an Achilles hell (waves fist in general direction of Greek and his poor quality footware) for me now so any help really is appreciated.

Umer Bin Ahmed

Hello all,
My name is Umer. I have started my MS Telecom Thesis in Firewall Design. My supervisor has given me a task to understand the source code of FreeBSD and understand how the firewall responds to the attacks and in general all the details. Can anyone guide me how to start, which snapshot version I should install on my Virtual Box?

Hunter Jozwiak

Hi!

I am Hunter Jozwiak, a relative newcomer to FreeBSD. I first heard about FreBSD via the BSDNow podcast, as well as an article that I read on Wikipedia about the ports collection. I put it on a server and am enjoying the experience a lot.
As for my hobbies, I like to program, listen to shortwave radio, and game (I am big in to the Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct franchises, having discovered the latter a few months back). Feel free to add me on Xbox Live.
Lastly, my main goal as of now is to somehow hack together a FreeBSD iso with a console screenreader so that a blind or visually impaired user can bsdinstall, get a running system with speech, and customize it to his or her liking.
Here's to many years with FreeBSD!

Steel

Hello FreeBSD community.

I am setting up web and app servers running on FreeBSD and am looking for help and guidance.

colemakker

Hello,

Used Linux for the last 18 months after decades of Microsoft, liked it a lot, so I'm having a look at FreeBSD, forcing myself to learn BSD's secrets by using it as my day to day OS. It actually took me weeks just to get a desktop going, after strugging with OpenBSD, GhostBSD, then FreeBSD... install xfce... get internet working... copy my 2TB ext4 drive to ext3 and mount it... having fun.

Maxnix

Hello,

Used Linux for the last 18 months after decades of Microsoft, liked it a lot, so I'm having a look at FreeBSD, forcing myself to learn BSD's secrets by using it as my day to day OS. It actually took me weeks just to get a desktop going, after strugging with OpenBSD, GhostBSD, then FreeBSD... install xfce... get internet working... copy my 2TB ext4 drive to ext3 and mount it... having fun.
Welcome to the BSD realm! :)

Sevendogs

Welcome!

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

juan9182

Hi, I am Juan from Argentina, I leave Linux because of the syste** virus....so, FreeBSD was "magic" back to old days style like RedHat 7 or Mandrake. Everything works like should do. Great community, great support, etc. In few words, I love FreeBSD.

Sevendogs

Welcome Juan, I left Linux for the same reasons. Great community here, enjoy!

kafka0

Hi everyone!

I've been using *BSD (Open, then Net and now Free) since 99. I settled a few years ago on FreeBSD rather than NetBSD because even though the latter is a thing of beauty and a lesson in elegant design, the former strikes the right balance between elegance and pragmatism. Of course, I'm only talking from my perspective: my needs revolve around desktop usage and personal server stuff.

Even though I enjoyed Linux systems for a few years mid-90s, I must say I've been disappointed many times with it and the direction it's headed. Like many people here, I suppose!

Don Lazov

Greetings, I have been using Windows since 3.11, dabbled in Red Hat 5.2 and a version of BSD back in 1999 ish. I worked on UNIX SCO and IBM AIX machines and also a Unisys machine, lately (last few years) been running and developing on Centos 7, Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian (all on VirtualBox), discovered Open Indiana (a Solaris type OS) and then discovered FreeBSD, PC-BSD and TrueOS. Ditched PC-BSD and TrueOS (the virtual machines kept dying), and stuck with Free BSD, found some YouTube videos on how to setup the GUI and installed XCFE and struggled through a few setup configuration issues but thanks to a couple of admins got through that.

Found a cool article on how to install *AMP stack for 10.3 (works for 11.0, that is what I am running)
https://www.rootbsd.net/kb/321/Installing-Apache-24-MySQL-56-PHP-56-on-FreeBSD-103.html

I decided to go with mysql 57 (you have to tweak the root login a little different from the article (just follow the error messages in the terminal).

Next steps are to install php and python (not sure which versions to install yet), and also to install java jdk and eclipse (I use this a lot for writing c, c++ and java), what IDE's do other devs use for Free BSD?

Thanks for the help, support and the site, and of course FreeBSD :)

BobC

Hello everybody...

Long time Solaris user and I'm finally giving it up... migrating everything to *BSD, especially because I now acknowledge so many Solaris features (and their ideas) came from the BSDs.

The last BSD version I used was v4 running a VAX 11 780. Yes I'm old!

I've been back in the BSD "fold" now since the release of 10.3. I was impressed with that version and I'm really impressed with 11 so I'm migrating everything to that... I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of the "lego blocks" (as Jordan Hubbard calls them), mature and get better. So everybody put some shades on, the future looks bright!

dbyte

Hi all — I'm coming back to OSS after a few years with macOS (+arch & debian-variants prior to this). I'm new to FreeBSD and will be trying to migrate a new System76 Lemur build (with Kaby Lake) to use release 11. Hopefully the fact that kaby lake isn't explicitly supported won't be so bad.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
-s

bushido95

Greetings everyone. I'm fairly new to FreeBSD although i have played a bit with it in the past. Having used GNU/Linux Distributions for the past several years I've become accustomed to doing things the "unix like fashion". I really enjoy source based distros like Gentoo. Having said that I feel right at home with FreeBSD and it's ports system. I'm impressed with the large amount of software that's available in the ports tree. I also like how the licensing is more permissive making BSD more ideal for both my open source hobby projects as well as closed source. I look forward to contributing back to the community and meeting some interesting people. Thanks

Null0x90

Hello there I'm a new FreeBSD user and a Linux user too. :eek:

Actually I'm here because I think I must try to learn a lot of things and I want to keep in touch with other developers since two minds are better than one mind.

As for my experience, I'm a Linux user since 2006 but in 2015 I met BSD, and it was instant love :D

That's all I think... Nice to meet you all.

bushido95

Hello there I'm a new FreeBSD user and a Linux user too. :eek:

Actually I'm here because I think I must try to learn a lot of things and I want to keep in touch with other developers since two minds are better than one mind.

As for my experience, I'm a Linux user since 2006 but in 2015 I met BSD, and it was instant love :D

That's all I think... Nice to meet you all.
It's funny how alot of us were prior GNU/Linux users. Then one day we just all had an ephiphany that our penguin friend was no longer good enough. Instead we were going for his devilish cousin lol