HEIF support

On Linux the package for libheif includes some useful utilities: heif-convert, heif-enc, heif-info, heif-thumbnailer. On FreeBSD I see only the library, but no such utilities. Is there a reason for that?

Thank you, but of course the prebuilt package has this support disabled. I'll need to build from ports. And mixing fresh ports with quarterly packages might be interesting...

In my (somewhat limited) personal experience, if one files an RFE (Request For Enhancement) at bugzilla, stating you would like a particular option turned on with the package, they'll often do it. In my case, I think I was asking for libx265 with ffmpeg and it was added that week. From what SirDice is saying though, it looks like the latest package already has that option enabled. Ironically, a friend just sent me an HEIF file the other day which I couldn't convert.
The other option is to set up poudriere to build your ports with custom options.

On Linux the package for libheif includes some useful utilities: heif-convert, heif-enc, heif-info, heif-thumbnailer. On FreeBSD I see only the library, but no such utilities. Is there a reason for that?
There is no reason (it's just that no one wrote a patch to enable that so far apparently). I'm working on a patch for that now. It should land later today.

Back