[ HEADS UP ] Ports unstable for the next 10 days

Gentoo no Refuge

lumiwa said:
I am not a computer educated person but if I look for update of KDE 4.4 which has a lot of bugfixes and came out in February and it is not in the ports it is unusual. Or Linux world enjoy with beta or what ever version of K3b for KDE4 but not FreeBSD users. I know the answer: use console. But the question is WHY?
Thanks.

I just installed a Gentoo system, and upon the 35th build of 350+ to make kde4, the emerge croaked. Glancing at the USE options it's borderline nuts. There must be two hundred little knobs to tweak. You could literally be configuring Gentoo until the end of the universe with the combinatorial possibilities. Then to make my fully encrypted disk I must make a little virtual file system with static builds of a mini-Gentoo system. What a nightmare. x(

SirDice said:
Do like I do, build all your ports in a jail.

That occurred to me, but not having read it in UPDATING I tried the incremental approach. I guess now it's semi-official. In fact today I noticed PCBSD has a /portsJail directory ostensibly for that very reason.

rossiya said:
I just installed a Gentoo system, and upon the 35th build of 350+ to make kde4, the emerge croaked. Glancing at the USE options it's borderline nuts. There must be two hundred little knobs to tweak. You could literally be configuring Gentoo until the end of the universe with the combinatorial possibilities. Then to make my fully encrypted disk I must make a little virtual file system with static builds of a mini-Gentoo system. What a nightmare. x(

That occurred to me, but not having read it in UPDATING I tried the incremental approach. I guess now it's semi-official.

I installed Debian 1993 and had on computer more than 10 years. I never had problem with update and I never had problem with security. I tried Slackware too and Arch Linux. I use FreeBSD two years but start thinking going back to Debian or Slackware.

BTW: As I know KDE 4.4 will be in the ports in the middle of May.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-April/060906.html
Xorg 7.5 merge coming tomorrow

First of all I apologize for the long waiting time for Xorg 7.5
Now the facts. Xorg 7.5 is completely finished last issues
were fixed by fluffy@, and the exp-run was also fine, I expect
the merge of xorg 7.5 tomorrow evening UTC. I think the KDE
team and the GNOME team will their ports after the Xorg update.
So i think you should monitor the CVS commits, ports and x11
mailing list to make sure you don't report a duplicat problems
(if we get some).

- - Martin

Please use only this thread to report issues with the X.Org upgrade!

miwi@ hints that Qt, py-qt and KDE are close to being released as well ...

This thread is sticky.
It says 'Unstable for next 10 days, and has done so for 40+ days now.

It rambles, goes OT, and leaves the reader no more informed than they were before, certainly with no idea about current status of the ports tree. This is a very good advert for the technical competence and stability of FreeBSD.

The correct place to announce this stuff is /usr/ports/UPDATING

Forgot to remove the 'sticky' part, indeed. Your conclusion is invalid and ill-founded, as this is a user community forum, not an official communications channel for the FreeBSD Project in any way. This forum is as pertinent to the FreeBSD Project as a Dr. Phil self-help book is to psychology.

P.S. the roll-out of the ports mentioned in the opening post (png, curl, x11, gnome, kde4) has been completed, so there's no reason not to get up-to-date with your ports.

Clearing the sticky flag really helps.

"Your conclusion is invalid and ill-founded."

Why? is it because a search for 'FreeBSD help community' never turns this forum up? and it's not hosted on the official freebsd site? and it's not cross-posting important information from the development community like 'don't update for the next 10 days since everything is in a state of flux'? or anything like that?

From where I am sitting it sure looks official to me.

DD, I realise you are doing a lot here, certainly a lot more than I could ever do, and it's not fun fighting all the problems -and- idjeeots like me poking holes in stuff. But you are approaching this from a position of already knowing all this stuff, most people here are not.

Given the disconnects between UPDATING & freebsd-ports@, plus the usual human foobaas that will come from any development activity, real-world users end up here; especially the ones who are not 'into' the development side of things. They come here because it is the best place for them to get help they really need. And the completeness of the info here, especially omissions and uncorrected bad info, will affect their success, enthusiasm, and eventually FreeBSD's overall perception and take up.

Maybe it is time that this -did- become an official communications channel, instead of just a de-facto one.

EasyTarget said:
Clearing the sticky flag really helps.

"Your conclusion is invalid and ill-founded."

Why? is it because a search for 'FreeBSD help community' never turns this forum up? and it's not hosted on the official freebsd site? and it's not cross-posting important information from the development community like 'don't update for the next 10 days since everything is in a state of flux'? or anything like that?

From where I am sitting it sure looks official to me.

DD, I realise you are doing a lot here, certainly a lot more than I could ever do, and it's not fun fighting all the problems -and- idjeeots like me poking holes in stuff. But you are approaching this from a position of already knowing all this stuff, most people here are not.

Given the disconnects between UPDATING & freebsd-ports@, plus the usual human foobaas that will come from any development activity, real-world users end up here; especially the ones who are not 'into' the development side of things. They come here because it is the best place for them to get help they really need. And the completeness of the info here, especially omissions and uncorrected bad info, will affect their success, enthusiasm, and eventually FreeBSD's overall perception and take up.

Maybe it is time that this -did- become an official communications channel, instead of just a de-facto one.

In defense of the forum...

This forum is only a few years old. The previous forum, was
abandoned to spammers. The website redesign is only a few
years old. The OS however is very mature, the earlier
references are usually the mailing list and usenet (the
latter had a portal, with lots of unix/bsd info, but was
"taken over" by the internet, then a site that played nice
with searches, etc, was bought out and effectively made
not-the-same.
"don't update" is totally dependent upon the usage of
the machine. (Is it hosting webservers? Is it one's
desktop? is it one's router? ) and the procedure process
posted in UPDATING reflects tradition when there were
only a few thousand ports, and far fewer using it as
a desktop. So change has transpired there too.
One can visit many Linux wiki's (maybe more thorough than
the handbook) and effectively be informed about stuff not
covered enough in the handbook (stuff common to both.) OTOH
more and more bsd-info portals are appearing.
Put in somewhat different terms, freebsd is "so" volunteer
that "official" should be used sparingly, if at all. For
instance, I use zsh a lot. But
only because in 2004-5, I acquired and
tested several large .zshrc from the web, and cobbled together
a working well one, (having read reports of
how well the result may be). So while I may use it a lot, I am
in no way an authority, just experienced in using it, and
can give good answers in just a *few* aspects of it (and
freebsd). But in many other ways (I use it primarily as
a desktop) I am more inexperienced than many coming to
freebsd from linux. (As in, "what is an ipsec server??? used
actually for? " ).

Maybe too many topics already in this thread, not to
demean the thread, but to suggest branching it into
three seperate ones...

The opening post in this thread was not an official piece of communication; it was posted by a regular member who managed to run into that message from Ion-Mihai Tetcu to the freebsd-ports@ mailing list. I added the heads-up part and turned it into a sticky thread to make sure it got some additional attention. It's just another example of users helping one another. The fact that some official communications from the FreeBSD Project and the Foundation get posted here (through RSS feeds) is also just a matter of convenience and added information -- it does not make it a de-facto communications channel for official FreeBSD affairs.

The official communication channels of the FreeBSD Project are its website and its mailing lists. Despite the fact that some FreeBSD developers and core team members hang out here, this forum is (and probably will remain, though I have no say in that as I do not work for FreeBSD in any capacity), a nice-to-have addition to the official communication channels, and first and foremost a place where regular FreeBSD users can come for a quick fix for common problems, relieving the mailing lists of the more mundane matters that tend to end up there. There is no guarantee that suggestions or criticisms of FreeBSD made here end up in any official FreeBSD channel 'higher up'. It really is a rather separate playing ground.

So, a user community forum. That's all the forum aspires to be, really, and as on any other forum, there is good information, bad information, and outdated information as time goes by. Whether it is 'the best place for them' (the end-users) is a matter of opinion, and all I can say is that the most active members certainly try to give satisfactory answers to all but the most technical and avanced level of questions (which should be posted to the mailing lists), and I think the forums serve the purpose as 'the first line of help' as much as they were intended to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

DutchDaemon said:
P.S. the roll-out of the ports mentioned in the opening post (png, curl, x11, gnome, kde4) has been completed, so there's no reason not to get up-to-date with your ports.

gd in php5 has been broken since the png update, and I had to use portdowngrade to fix.

whats the official solution?

I'm running php5-gd-5.3.2 with png-1.4.1_1, which are both the current versions (and updating was done in accordance with /usr/ports/UPDATING). So what is broken in your opinion?

Soon cvsup/csup 'd-able is the UPDATING and
/usr/ports/devel/gettext bump. The former implies
ports to have their minor versions bumped also, very
many of them. I expect to wait at least a week or
longer though, (Here) to be done concurrently with
the recent gnome bump (probably.)

DutchDaemon said:
I'm running php5-gd-5.3.2 with png-1.4.1_1, which are both the current versions (and updating was done in accordance with /usr/ports/UPDATING). So what is broken in your opinion?

I believe php 5.3 has been patched in 5.3.2 to fix the problem but php 5.2 gd is broken with png 1.4, currently on dozens of servers I have forcefully kept png on 1.2 but this is causing some ports to skip upgrades.

Back