Other HAST Error: G_GATE_CMD_START failed: Cannot allocate memory.

Hello Everyone,

We've been successfully using HAST (with ZFS and NFS on top) for years and years on a number of different deployments for our customers. Typically the setup is two HAST volumes with ZFS running zmirror over it.

Today, under FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p4, we went to setup an instance using 4 disks using zraid1, and ran into an issue as soon as any significant writing occurred:

Two out of the 4 total HAST volumes immediately "crashed" and failed to report:

Code:
>>>> hastctl status
;;Name  Status   Role           Components
zhsubd0 complete primary        /dev/ada0p4     nas2
zhsubd1 -        init           /dev/ada1p4     nas2
zhsubd2 complete primary        /dev/ada2p4     nas2
zhsubd3 -        init           /dev/ada3p4     nas2

On further inspection in syslog we'd see:

Code:
Dec  4 18:30:14 nas1 hastd[1475]: [zhsubd1] (primary) G_GATE_CMD_START failed: Cannot allocate memory.
Dec  4 18:30:14 nas1 devd: Processing event '!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=hast/zhsubd1'
Dec  4 18:30:14 nas1 devd: Processing event '!system=GEOM subsystem=DEV type=DESTROY cdev=hast/zhsubd1'
Dec  4 18:30:14 nas1 hastd[578]: [zhsubd1] (primary) Worker process exited ungracefully (pid=1475, exitcode=71).
Dec  4 18:30:14 nas1 hastd[578]: [zhsubd1] (primary) Changing resource role back to init.

The only trace of this error I can find is in this mailing list entry: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-May/055750.html

However we're not running a custom kernel. This seems to be something specific to running more than 2 volumes.

Does anyone have any insight into what limit is being hit and how to fix it?

I can't find much documentation on MAXPHYS and what it does (or did).

I would be grateful for any assistance -- please let me know if there is a better place to post this or anyone needs more details.

Thank you!

Unfortunately no solution was found, what we ultimately did was adjust the disk layout so that only two disks were present (ie; two larger disks instead of four).

Back