Has Release 12.0 slowed down FreeBSD

Abhid

Hi. About a month ago, I upgraded my FreeBSD OS to the 12.0 pg-13 version. My configuration is 4 GB RAM on an AMD E2 7th gen processor.
I use the Xfce desktop.

After the upgrade, I noticed some lag in the responsiveness of FreeBSD. For example, on booting the desktop's icons take a good 10 or more seconds to appear, whereas earlier they used to be displayed in just 3-4 seconds. When I click on some program (say command line emulator), it appears after 5 or 6 seconds.

Is there any issue in my upgradation ? Or is my hardware now too slow for this version of FreeBSD ?

chrbr

Aspiring Daemon

Do you have upgraded from FreeBSD-11.3 or FreeBSD-11.4? On my computer I have not noticed any difference. The packages are build for FreeBSD-12.1 and FreeBSD-12.0 is out of support and receives no fixes or updates anymore. May be upgrading to FreeBSD-12.1 solves the issue. It should be time to upgrade anyhow. Your hardware should be fine.
EDIT: After upgrade from FreeBSD-11.* to FreeBSD-12.* you should upgrade all packages, too. Have you done so?

Reaperzx

When I upgraded from 9 to 12, it sure made my home server slower. Maybe intel CPU patches? I don't know...

In version 9 Virtualbox Windows VM-s were slow, but usable. In 12 Windows VM-s were totally unusable.

I just gave up and did some physicalization.

OP
A

Abhid

SirDice, I upgraded my system to 12.2 RELEASE just now. But (maybe unrelated) the mouse touchpad has stopped recognizing clicks. The mouse pointer does move, though. Also, the speed of booting up hasn't improved.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Turn off X and check again, I'm sure the slowness isn't caused by FreeBSD itself. It probably has to do with your graphics configuration and not so much the OS. Speaking of graphics, what graphics card do you have and what driver are you using for it? Also, what desktop environment are you using? KDE can be quite a drag on older hardware, maybe switch to a more light-weight DE or WM?

chrbr

Aspiring Daemon